89 replies to this topic

#41 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:17 AM

I've been working on it a lot and had it popped up now for about a week an a half and no problems with the lift bars,I did put a pin through them and I also put 30lb struts,which really helps,I'll post some pictures in the next couple days.i've been real busy with the interior.I also put the alum. chanel for a awning on the back but I haven't made the awning yet..It seems like everything i'm doing ,I'm doing 3 times.... I decided after I put the roof back together to put the awning rail so I had to take some roof trim screws back out line them back up again and do it again I missed measured for the front stuts, had to do that again only now I got a couple EXTRA holes to patch,this whole build seems to be going like that..My patients and $$ are getting thin, and I'm making stupid mistakes. 

#42 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

Thanks WV. Looking forward to the pix!

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

#43 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

Looking forward to pictures of the finished camper. Yes everything takes longer that you think.

#44 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:06 AM

Here's where I'm at now.I started the cabinets,I had a old piece of finished table I thought i'd do the front with but when I tried to match a section,well it didn't match so I painted the whole front white and trimmed it in alum. There again in hindsight i wish i would've just used the same 1/4" plywood to face it with,it would"ve matched better.unfin%20kit_zpsydztitc5.jpg

fin%20kit_zpsnokivxqm.jpg

I'm basically going black and white on the inside..

#45 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:16 AM

The struts help out great!! I have the front and back at different measurements and theres a reason for that.I have the back top spread out farther to make room for the channel for the awning but the front closer at the top because the way the roof sits,with nothing real level or square the left corner of the roof sits a little farther out and I thought that may put a bind on the struts when closed but I still have some extra holes to patch anyways...back%20strut_zpseynhc4lo.jpg

front%20strut_zpstuktpgcm.jpg

#46 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:24 AM

I also finished the 12 v power,I'm only having 2 L E D lights inside an amber door light and 2 small spot lights out back and I'm putting the battery in that little space under the drawer section by the door,I'm not doing(at this point) any kind of charging system,I'll just use a battery charger when needed..I'm also keeping the layout the same.I had thought about changing it up a little but for the kind of camping I do,it always worked out fine… I hope to have it on the truck this weekend,It won't be completely done but should be ready for hunting season….

#47 OSUFlyer

OSUFlyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWahkiakum County, WA

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:59 AM

I really like your conduit lift panel. Nice and simple. Are your lower mounting points two L-brackets/bolt acting as a hinge?

1997 OBS Ford 7.3 DSL 4x4
1985 Four Wheel Keystone

#48 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

Yep OSU that's it, I think when this is all said and done,I'm going to put "sleeves" through the conduit but for now it's just 5/16 bolts.I wasn't sure how it was going to work out so I did the easiest and simplest thing I could do and I'm pretty happy with it.It's kind of amazing to me how much stress is spread out all along the old lift panels and I didn't realize that until I saw how the back of the camper was cracked now I think all the stress is just on the two L shaped brackets..I'm sure there's lots of guys with way more skills than I have that can take the conduit idea and really clean it up,maybe rigid conduit and make some "professional" type brackets with sleeves..The other thing that I'm going to change is the top-roof attachments,I'm just using the little straps that you would normally use if you were doing conduit work at home,those are thin and week,I need to get heavy duty ones..I haven't really started looking to see whats out there yet...      

#49 joetool

joetool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

would you mind posting the measurements and exact part numbers for the lift struts? I know theres a bunch of info already, but is spread all over and confusing. I have the same shell and Would like to match what you did...Looks great by the way!

#50 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:53 AM

Sure,I just went to Ebay and bought 4 -36" 30lb lift struts and 8 offset brackets,really didn't have a part number but the vendor was "strut your stuff here" and it was all under $100

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users