my mods

mods modifications

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

Here are some pictures of some modest modifications I have made to my 2014 Grandby:

Here's my baby. It sits nicely on my 2006 Ford F150. I installed load bearing shocks (the kind with the spring on the outside) before the camper was installed. No noticable sag even fully loaded. Seems to ride better fully loaded, also. 5.4 liter V8 engine pulls it easily with no strain. Brakes work great. Yes, I have a factory tow package.

gallery_5699_920_619832.jpg

Hard to get a close up of the load bearing shocks but here it is:

gallery_5699_920_1038142.jpg

First mod was mounting RotoPax gas can to back of camper. Carriage bolts that came with the RotoPax were too short (the rear wall is TWO INCHES thick!). 2.5" carriage bolts were perfect size. Most of the work was done outside by opening the vent panel for the fridge. Still had to pull the fridge out of the cabinet just a bit to make room to work. RotoPax was positioned so as not to interfere with the door when in the latched open position.

gallery_5699_920_302593.jpg

Second mod was so simple I'm almost embarrassed to mention it. I took the back off from  the rollover couch. I'd rather have a bench I can lay back on than a couch to sit on. The back of the roillover couch was so far forward there was barely enough room to lay on it without falling off the edge. I will  likely never sleep four people in my camper, and if I ever do, three of them will  be women and they'll  all be sleeping with me in the cabover bed, so no need for that rollover couch. The brackets to which the back was attached also held the cushions in place, so my tool guy fabricated new brackets from 2' angled aluminum. They look quite nice. My tool guy does very aesthetic work.

gallery_5699_920_2091330.jpg

Mod three was to install a bar/handle to the interior of the screen door. I bought one of those RV screen door bars from Camping World, and after installing it we discovered that the door wouldn't close because of the angled aluminum door frame on the camper. So now I had four screw holes in my screen door.The solution: my tool guy fabricated a door bar using some angled aluminum left over from the couch cushion brackets, and a piece of stainless steel tubing he had laying around. Again, he did a very nice job. I am amazed when I watch him make a few measurements and then create stuff before my eyes. This is probably my favorite mod because I use it every time I open the door. It also serves double duty as a towel rack.

gallery_5699_920_2209513.jpg

Another pic of the door bar:

gallery_5699_920_268058.jpg

Mod 4: I decided against fabricating a gray water pipe and opted instead to put a valve on the drain hose under the sink. Now I have the option to drain my gray water either outside, or if I don"t want to  go out,  I can drain it to a container inside, or both (although I can't imagine why I would want to drain it both inside & outside at the same time, but if the need ever arises I can do it!).

gallery_5699_920_2062735.jpg

Mod 5 is a mod to the truck. I removed the back seat in the extended cab (a HUGE job - see my previous post on the subject). I told my tool guy that I wanted a flat floor in the ext cab area and also a back wall to make storage easier. This is what he came up  with:

gallery_5699_920_402872.jpg

Tire jacks, jumper cables & other equipment I hope I never have to use are stored underneath. Here's a pic from the other side:

gallery_5699_920_1550149.jpg

My tool guy is amazing. I tell him what I want, he takes a couple of measurements, tells me what materials I need, then he becomes a whirling dervish and in no time he creates something that never existed before. He even works on my guitars, and I'm damned picky about that. I think I'll give him a rest now, but I'm already mulling over some ideas for additional mods next year.

Edited by 2020, 05 July 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:18 AM

Did the same thing with the handle, forgot to mark along the door at the frame. I re-did the handle and found 4 plastic plugs, no harm no foul

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 06 July 2015 - 12:38 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:14 AM

Looks like nice work.

Keep an eye on those shocks. They do the job but the problem is that the shock mounts on most trcks are not meant to be load bearing. Overload shocks can bend or break the shock mounts.

#4 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:46 AM

I'm totally making a door handle now. Great idea and great work.

I wouldn't mind having a rollover couch. I know you used some of the parts on the door handle but do you have any of it left over?

#5 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:04 AM

I wouldn't mind having a rollover couch. I know you used some of the parts on the door handle but do you have any of it left over?

I still have the entire rollover couch back assembly. I'll keep it just in case I ever want to put it back on.

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

Here are some pictures of some modest modifications I have made to my 2014 Grandby

gallery_5699_920_1550149.jpg

Very nice mods!

What material did you use to fabricate the sides of the new rear box?  Thanks!

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

Very nice mods!

What material did you use to fabricate the sides of the new rear box?  Thanks!

Sides are 8" X 1/2" pine boards.

Floor is 1/2" plywood

Bracing underneath is also 8" X 1/2" pine. Bracing conforms to the curves on the vehicle floor. It is very sturdy and will hold any amount of weight I will put on it without sagging. It is carpeted and has aluminum edging. The whole thing is stapled, glued and screwed. Staples & screws were covered with filler material and are invisible under the paint. My tool guy is absolutely anal about aesthetics.

Back is made from 1/8" underlayment plywood. It is also braced in back with pine boards and is very sturdy.

Paint was mixed by hand to match the color of the plastic parts of the cab interior. It still smells like fresh paint.

The beauty of it is that nothing is actually attached to the truck. Gravity holds the floor in place and we used a piece of 3/4" angled aluminum to hang the back from a convenient lip that runs along the back of the cab just under the window.

Edited by 2020, 06 July 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:35 PM

Nice job. Wish I had a tool guy... :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

Nice job. Wish I had a tool guy... :)

You'll have to find your own. I'm keeping mine.

#10 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

Mod 4: I decided against fabricating a gray water pipe and opted instead to put a valve on the drain hose under the sink. Now I have the option to drain my gray water either outside, or if I don"t want to  go out,  I can drain it to a container inside, or both (although I can't imagine why I would want to drain it both inside & outside at the same time, but if the need ever arises I can do it!).

gallery_5699_920_2062735.jpg

I always wondered why this wasn't standard from FWC.  Seems like a no-brainer.  I'm going to do the same thing when I finally get my FWC, and my only concern is what happens when the container gets full before I notice it...so I'm going to add another valve between the drain and container-valve so I can remove the container while the sink is still full, then reconnect it and drain the sink.

What do you plan to use for a container?  I was thinking a collapsible bucket would be good b/c it can't overflow...just wondering how well the sink will drain since there's no vent, and I don't want a gray water vent inside the camper.

Great job on all these mods!  Your tool guy deserves a raise...

Edited by JJ1, 07 July 2015 - 11:28 AM.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mods, modifications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users