• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

We are about 10 months out and owners are starting to share their experiences  with flexible solar panels. This topic will be a repository of links on that subject and I volunteer to monitor and keep post current.

Please send me a PM when you post something with its title and what folder its in and I will add the link.

Our 100 watt Renogy panel is now 10 months old. Before mounting it I tilted it toward the sun and verified the amp out put of 5.8 amps. So far with the battery is never below 80% full. The maximum amp out put I've seen is 3.7 amps between 11:00 - 2:00 pm (July 2015). Once battery reaches 90% full - amps drop to under 1.0 and the voltage completes the charge to 100%.

Renogy put up the following Reply # 106 page 11  (8/2015) on "Electrical Confusion" post:

"Dear all,

Renogy would like to apologize for any issues that have been experienced with our bendable units. We have been working diligently on figuring out a solution on how to fix them. They were put out of stock temporarily while we did more research.

From what we have gathered, it is likely that excessive bending is causing issues in the panels. The bend can crack the solar cell which builds local heat on the crack, especially when it gets too hot. This can potentially lead to a failure in the panel. Another reason for failure can be caused by lack of air circulation under the panel.

We are bringing our new design to the market that will prevent any of these issues. As for those that currently have a unit currently, things should be fine as long as you have air circulation and do not bend the module too much.

Thank you,

Renogy Team"

Links:

Flexible Solar - Still Going vs Dead  - 8/12/2015

"Electrical Confusion"   

"Removing Electrical Solar Panels"

Bendable Solar panels   "and compressor refrigerators"

How much Solar is to much

Adding a second (flexible) portable solar panel

My 2013 Hawk solar upgrade

Solar panel adapter plug

2017 Ideas

Flexible Solar mount Installation by Zirdu

Failures/Replacements

"Electrical Confusion"

"Removing Electrical Solar Panels"

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 26 July 2017 - 07:14 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for doing this!

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

Your welcome Ether. I'm glad I'm retired and have the time to help get the info out.

Jim

#4 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:12 AM

I wonder if we should start a failure report thread after the recent issues. 3 people with 4 bad panels in the last two weeks.

Edited by Ethergore, 07 July 2015 - 04:06 AM.

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Ether I added a problem section and changed the title.

Reviewing the failure reports, Renogy is addressing the failures in a timely fashion.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 19 July 2015 - 02:38 PM.

Jim

#6 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

Ether I added a problem section and changed the title.

Reviewing the failure reports, Renology is addressing the failures in a timely fashion.

Jim - other than replacing panels do you know what they are doing to address the failures? Have they actually fixed anything?  They have implied they did, and my new panels look different, but I'm sure curious what the cause of failure is and what the fix is.  Some reassurance would be good.

While they seem to be replacing the panels, its still a big hassle.  Failed trips, lost food, lots of hours involved in the swap out.  For me, even with free replacement panels, its still a big "cost".

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#7 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

Jim - other than replacing panels do you know what they are doing to address the failures? Have they actually fixed anything?  They have implied they did, and my new panels look different, but I'm sure curious what the cause of failure is and what the fix is.  Some reassurance would be good.

While they seem to be replacing the panels, its still a big hassle.  Failed trips, lost food, lots of hours involved in the swap out.  For me, even with free replacement panels, its still a big "cost".

When you include blood pressure into the mix the cost is indeed high. Mine spiked every time the fridge cycled on this last trip. No way to get away from it all.

Alan

#8 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

They told DonC that they did make a change. I think they said it was to the plastic part that sticks up. DonC is also trying to get his panels off the roof and said he will allow me to do some destructive testing.

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

I have not contacted Renogy. I don't know if they manufacture them or are a distributor of a Chinese made panel.

Don you said your new panels look different? Could you describe in the way they look different?  Including pictures of the new and bad one would be great.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 19 July 2015 - 02:39 PM.

Jim

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:12 AM

I'd be very interested to see this as well. I haven't bought anything yet still in the homework stage. I really want to use the fex style panels.

Good for them if they are fixing and upgrading. Solar is super competitive right now. I would think it's a perform or die market for most makers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users