• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

I see most people seem to like propane grills but I'm just not a fan. I currently use a Webber "Smokey Joe" with my favorite charcoal/hardwood of the month. I put this in a big plastic tupperware with my cooking tools, tin foil and some other items. The only down side is that it takes up a lot of room in my truck or camper depending on where I put it.

I wanted to see who has come up with the most compact way to carry their charcoal grills. Thanks!

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

I see most people seem to like propane grills but I'm just not a fan. I currently use a Webber "Smokey Joe" with my favorite charcoal/hardwood of the month. I put this in a big plastic tupperware with my cooking tools, tin foil and some other items. The only down side is that it takes up a lot of room in my truck or camper depending on where I put it.

I wanted to see who has come up with the most compact way to carry their charcoal grills. Thanks!

Me too.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

Guys, When I'm camping we have a Weber "Q" Grill (propane) that we carry in a big tote. I thought I would have to get something smaller since the backseat space will now be occupied by a yellow lab. I bought an aluminum cargo carrier with bag. I would much rather grill on my home Weber with mesquite charcoal. I purchased the "Q" because many of the tailgating lots for concerts, Notre Dame for football and on my recent trip to Big Bend National Park - no fires allowed, gas grills were fine. I take enough small propane bottles for the trip. I grill year round in Indiana and would never think about having a gas grill, but camping is different.  If there was a good charcoal camping grill, I might be interested.  It would have to be smaller than the "Q" grill.  Looking forward to hearing what others might be doing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 08 July 2015 - 11:18 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:41 AM

I use both propane and charcoal.  When using charcoal I cook over a fire pit with a grill like this:

OFG36.jpg

Not as simple as a Weber but takes up very little space with the legs folded up.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#5 NoPlanMan

NoPlanMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:59 AM

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00DNTXCMI

I  love this grill.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:11 AM

Thats an interesting grill. Folds flat for easy storage. Now just have to find a place for the charcoal.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:34 AM

I use an old Little Pal grill I've had for almost 30 years. For a good while it sat unused. Now it goes on most camping trips. it cooks great. Don't think they make them anymore.

Picture017Small.jpg

The problem with most grills is carriying the messy grill in the vehicle. I came up with a simple and super cheap solution. I took the cardboard box the grill came in and open the top and taped the corners. Then I mixed up some waterproof wood glue and water to thin it. Then I used a paint brush to paint on an old bed sheet cut into pieces. Kind of a cross between paper mache and fiberglassing.

Picture014Small.jpg

Picture015Small.jpg

Picture020Small.jpg

Picture021Small.jpg

Inside and out. I added another piece of cardboard to the bottom and coated that in place. Also made a lid for the box and did the same.

Picture026Small.jpg

I did the inside one day the outside the next. when done I let it sit in the hot sun for a couple of days.

Picture019Small.jpg

Then a used whatever outdoor paint happened to be laying around and gave it 2 coats inside and out. I used some leftover web strap and a fastex buckle for a lid latch handle.

It's not the prettiest but quite strong and waterproof. Very much like a fiber drum case. It cost me nothing but time. It also holds a small bag of charcoal inside the grill and a can of starter fluid also fits in the box. this was the experiment and I've made a couple of other similar equipment cases for my gear.

Picture001Small-3.jpg

Picture002Small-3.jpg

Picture003Small-3.jpg

Picture006Small-3.jpg

Picture008Small-1.jpg

It's also very light to carry. I've used it for several years, No more mess in the truck!

#8 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:42 AM

A favorite meal on this grill is to mostly precook baked potatoes at home in the microwave. Then wrap them in foil and put in the cooler. Same precook fresh beans or similar at home. They get heated on the camp stove. In the summer I add fresh local corn. 1st light the grill. Heat the potoatoes on it and set aside. Then lay the fresh corn on the grill in the husk and close the lid. Keep turning till done. Set aside. The ears stay hot in the husks. Then throw the T-bones on the grill. Cook to order and serve and eat. This is the best way to cook fresh corn outdoors.

#9 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

A fishing bud has one of these.

http://www.charbroil...-charcoal-grill

It's a little more compact than mine. We use it when cooking a shore lunch out of my bass boat. I'm sold on covered grills. They are so much more versitile than an open grill for stuff like cook corn and vegetables.

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:48 AM

That is a very cool idea, Squatch.  I can see how it would be easy to cheaply fab just about any size container you need for storage.

Bed sheets + wood glue over cardboard = genius!   I nominate this post for Low Cost Mods   

I use an old Little Pal grill I've had for almost 30 years. For a good while it sat unused. Now it goes on most camping trips. it cooks great. Don't think they make them anymore.

Picture017Small.jpg

The problem with most grills is carriying the messy grill in the vehicle. I came up with a simple and super cheap solution. I took the cardboard box the grill came in and open the top and taped the corners. Then I mixed up some waterproof wood glue and water to thin it. Then I used a paint brush to paint on an old bed sheet cut into pieces. Kind of a cross between paper mache and fiberglassing.

Picture014Small.jpg

Picture015Small.jpg

Picture020Small.jpg

Picture021Small.jpg

Inside and out. I added another piece of cardboard to the bottom and coated that in place. Also made a lid for the box and did the same.

Picture026Small.jpg

I did the inside one day the outside the next. when done I let it sit in the hot sun for a couple of days.

Picture019Small.jpg

Then a used whatever outdoor paint happened to be laying around and gave it 2 coats inside and out. I used some leftover web strap and a fastex buckle for a lid latch handle.

It's not the prettiest but quite strong and waterproof. Very much like a fiber drum case. It cost me nothing but time. It also holds a small bag of charcoal inside the grill and a can of starter fluid also fits in the box. this was the experiment and I've made a couple of other similar equipment cases for my gear.

Picture001Small-3.jpg

Picture002Small-3.jpg

Picture003Small-3.jpg

Picture006Small-3.jpg

Picture008Small-1.jpg

It's also very light to carry. I've used it for several years, No more mess in the truck!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users