• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#11 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

I'm loving these ideas! Where are you guys putting these in your camper? Can the homemade box fit where the potti usually goes? What about NoPlanMan? What do you do with the rest of your stuff like charcoal etc?

#12 bb5qyt

bb5qyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

My charcoal cooking setup consists of a grate balanced on rocks. I use a weber grate- the one designed to hold the coals in a round weber kettle grill, which is the lower grate. I've found that they are cheaper and sturdier than the upper grate, and you can buy them separately as replacements for the round kettle grills. I've mounted it to the side of my FWC. It is an older 1985 model that has lots of holes and imperfections already. If I had a newer camper, I'd be less inclined to do it this way. It is very convenient though. It stays out of the camper yet out of the weather. It is easy to remove since it is attached with wing nuts and I always have it with me. Oh yeah...it's cheap and light too! Sometimes I'll just set it up over a fire or wood coals and forgo the charcoal and sometimes I'll bring a chimney and charcoal in a Rubbermaid container if I know I'll be cooking a lot.

Edited by bb5qyt, 11 July 2015 - 10:26 PM.

#13 bb5qyt

bb5qyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:25 PM

I meant to attach an image on my last post...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wander The West mobile app

Attached Files

#14 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:10 PM

90BE866D-8FCB-436F-A593-748DC751A07F.jpg

Comes in around 5-6 lbs, folds compact into an included carrying case. Very sturdy, big enough for 4 burgers or two steaks.

http://www.mgmetalwo...camp_grill.html

#15 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:12 PM

Thats a pretty grill! You don't have any problem not having a lid?

#16 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

I've only used it once for hot dogs, but no issues. Haven't given it a try with steak or anything yet.

#17 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:39 PM

I bring all my charcoal in large freezer bags and store them in the turnbuckle area lots of room

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

Noplanman Thanks for the grill link... I bought it and I am very impressed with the construction. Packs up small. Looking forward to spring camping to try it out. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#19 Idahomauledriver

Idahomauledriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByWander The West1458226977.779144.jpg   92.6K   63 downloads

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#20 Idahomauledriver

Idahomauledriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByWander The West1458227068.645546.jpg   261.04K   64 downloads

Just purchased a Hawk this winter so while the snow is still blocking all the good camp sites in the area I have been outfitting it. I have been looking at the Cobb Grill for years. First saw it in a boat accessory catalog. It is a pricey but a really good charcoal option. It has a grill, a griddle, a roasting pan, a chicken cooker and even a wok, all made out stainless or cooking grade aluminum. It all nests together in a little black bag and only uses 8 pieces of charcoal to cook for 2 hours. I used it last night and was very impressed. I tend to cook a lot of lean protein like grass fed beef and lamb as well as fish and game so I have to careful with cooking times and heat. The Cobb features an internal "moat" that you can fill with liquid to help flavor whatever you are cooking as well as keep it moist. I filled it with some pineapple juice and water last night while cooking a pheasant breast and it was outstanding.

Lots of you tube videos on cooking options and a very small footprint in the back of my truck.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users