• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:53 PM

I'm pretty space limited due to a lot of other stuff I carry and can't seem to leave at home.

As such, I use the Front Runner grill grate.  I have an Aluminess rear bumper with spare tire carrier, so it carry it as designed, over the spare tire.  I then place my Trasheroo over the tire/grate.  I doubt the grate would fall off if you follow the instructions, but, with the Trasheroo in place, the grate isn't going anywhere.

If you don't use a spare tire carrier, the grate legs are easily removed for storage in side the camper or vehicle.

I carry lump hardwood charcoal for grilling steaks.  If using it as a cooking grate, I just used firewood.  One I'm done grilling, remove the grate from the fire ring and start laying on the firewood for a nice camp fire.

At home, I use a Big Green Egg.  I was concerned about grilling without a lid or cover, but, it has been a non-issue when grilling on the Front Runner. 

front-runner-spare-tire-mount-braai-bbq-

front-runner-spare-tire-mount-braai-bbq-

Pictures from Front Runner web site.

Edited by Advmoto18, 20 March 2016 - 02:58 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#22 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:00 PM

Me too.

Ditto. Good for Anza Borrego also. Covered cooking in the wind rules.

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#23 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

I like that front runner grill. It's a little spendy. But I think I could come up with something homemade that's similar for less.

#24 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

Me too.

Me three.

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#25 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:25 PM

I could've sworn I put this grill up. It is a beauty. It is stainless, folds flat to about an inch. Comes with a black tour bag. Has a raised coal bed rack and top grill. Definitely works for me. If anyone likes it... here is a link

https://www.amazon.c...w_1445434380237

Attached Files

Edited by buckland, 16 December 2016 - 09:26 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#26 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:53 PM

I could've sworn I put this grill up. It is a beauty. It is stainless, folds flat to about an inch. Comes with a black tour bag. Has a raised coal bed rack and top grill. Definitely works for me. If anyone likes it... here is a link

That Fox Outfitters grill has been on my Christmas list for some time. I really like the compactness of the unit.

I've been a pretty good boy this year, I'm hoping Santa comes through. :P

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#27 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:40 AM

Yes, great grill! I have the smaller size and plan to get this one so I can more easily burn smallish wood in it. Have used it with both charcoal and wood.

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#28 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

Bottom line, how well does it burn a steak?

Thanks!

Sadly (and understandably with the high risk of fire getting out of control), most places I've camped the last year do not allow open fires except in the fire ring (if allowed at all).  I wonder if you could set this in the fire ring, fire it up and be legal?

From Amazon link:  Folded size: 18.5" x 7.25" x 2"

Bill

Edited by Advmoto18, 17 December 2016 - 11:55 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#29 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:58 AM

Santa is real, yes sir.

I'm originally from the Santa Maria area, and I know my way around a proper tri-tip roast. I'll let y'all know how she performs with briquettes and some chunks of central California Red Oak.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#30 dakozicki

dakozicki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationReno Area

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:31 PM

I like the Smokey Joe.  I have owned one since I got my first apartment with a balcony and wanted to enjoy some "outdoor cooking" overlooking downtown Oakland.  I got my next one when I was lucky enough to win a raffle at the local ace hardware (I rarely ever win raffles).  They are basically a miniaturized Weber kettle which allows you to do many of the same things you can with its big brother such as slow cooking a roast, leg of lamb, or a whole chicken.  

Since getting my FWC Hawk, I have found that the little kettle also makes a great fire pit when dispersed camping.  You don't have to build a fire ring and it really contributes to "leave no trace."  Also, it is just the right height to sit by in a low Kermit chair.  Unlike a rock fire ring, you can pick it up and move this around if the wind comes up.

My only complaint was that the lid always seemed to come off in transit and whatever was inside would spill in my camper.  I tried securing it with duct tape and bungee cords to no avail.  Well, two days ago I lost the bowl portion on the highway (a story in itself). So, I came back to this thread to see what other options I had.  I was interested in the Fox grill and was about to pull the trigger when I decided to go back and look at the Smokey Joe.  Low and behold, Weber now makes a version with a handy bail that keeps the lid secured in transit and they also have a compact chimney starter.  The grill is also $10 cheaper than the Fox.  Sold!

https://www.amazon.c...eber smokey joe

• 2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD Z71 crew cab with a 2" level kit and RideRite airbags
  • 2015 FWC Hawk with Silver Spur interior, front dinette, and a Batwing awning.
  • 2015 BMW R1200 GSA
  • Hobie ProAngler 14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users