• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

First let me apologize ahead of time if there is already a tread on this topic.  I looked, but could not find the info I was looking for.  I'm looking for some wisdom and direction here. 

So, I will upgrade my '02 Tundra to a 3/4 ton HD Dodge Ram, auto. transmission within the year.  I've read plenty on the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton debate and I feel the 3/4 ton is best considering payload, handling, wear and tear, mechanics, etc. The dilemma I have is deciding on which engine. I can afford the extra expense of the initial cost of the diesel, but I don't I don't want to get something that is mechanically or power inferior, or so much power that I'm doing the engine harm by not pushing it hard enough given my driving habits and payload.  This will be my recreation vehicle 99% of the time.  I have a fully loaded Hawk (~2000 lb realistically, which includes everything and everybody in the truck and camper)...I never take my camper off, except in rare circumstances...maybe for camper maintenance and then it goes back on.  I don't tow a trailer and I usually go on a road trip once a month.  My driving habits are for the most part semi-conservative, non abusive, lots of (sometimes very rough) backroads and I stay within the speed limits, perhaps a little on the plus side.  Do you recommend the 6.4L Hemi V8 or the Cummins 6.7L Diesel?  Thank you in advance. 

#2 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

well i will put my 2cents in..  i had a 2013 CTD before a drunk driver hit me.. so when it was time to replace that truck i went with the power wagon 6.4  i drove both and for my needs i went with the 6.4,  i say you need to drive both and see for yourself  i will say this . if you go with the 6.4 be sure and get 4.10 axle...let the battle begin,,

#3 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

If money is not an issue I recommend going with the diesel. You'll get the fuel savings right away and when you go to sell, the diesel will get a higher premium. I might also suggest that if your'e thinking of getting a ¾ ton why not get the 1 ton? For about $1K more you can load your camper to your harts content. Plus, I found out through my own reserch that used 1 tons sell for darn near the cost of a new one. Just my thoughts on this subject.

Mike

#4 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

Thanks snuffy and Mike...Doing more research, I see that the payload rating for a 1 ton vs. 3/4 ton with diesel is near doubled for a crew cab 6.5' box which I'm interested in...Payload for the 3/4 ton with 6.4 rates higher than the 3/4 ton with diesel.  

#5 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:52 AM

I am looking at Rams as well.  I did some "googling"- although this is old, it sound pretty accurate- 

The 3500 has larger driveline, larger brakes, an extrta leaf spring and 3000# more GVW.

http://forums.truckt.../#ixzz3fdL38Qh9

I went and looked at Ram 2500s today - man they are HUGE! My thought is if I'm going that big might as well get the 3500 payload. If a diesel was in my budget I would get that though.  

Great thread

Edited by anonymous, 12 July 2015 - 12:52 AM.

#6 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:23 AM

The 2500 has rear coil spings,  3500 have leaf also where i live in Commiefornia, they wack you hard on weight fees when you go over 10,000gvwr.  

#7 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:33 AM

First let me apologize ahead of time if there is already a tread on this topic.  I looked, but could not find the info I was looking for.  I'm looking for some wisdom and direction here. 

So, I will upgrade my '02 Tundra to a 3/4 ton HD Dodge Ram, auto. transmission within the year.  I've read plenty on the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton debate and I feel the 3/4 ton is best considering payload, handling, wear and tear, mechanics, etc. The dilemma I have is deciding on which engine. I can afford the extra expense of the initial cost of the diesel, but I don't I don't want to get something that is mechanically or power inferior, or so much power that I'm doing the engine harm by not pushing it hard enough given my driving habits and payload.  This will be my recreation vehicle 99% of the time.  I have a fully loaded Hawk (~2000 lb realistically, which includes everything and everybody in the truck and camper)...I never take my camper off, except in rare circumstances...maybe for camper maintenance and then it goes back on.  I don't tow a trailer and I usually go on a road trip once a month.  My driving habits are for the most part semi-conservative, non abusive, lots of (sometimes very rough) backroads and I stay within the speed limits, perhaps a little on the plus side.  Do you recommend the 6.4L Hemi V8 or the Cummins 6.7L Diesel?  Thank you in advance. 

The Hemi and Cummins are both fine engines. Either will do the job and there are arguments to support either choice. It boils down to preference. The diesel works great under load on long hauls which describes a truck camper; for your driving style it might even be called overpowered. Note that modern diesels have complex emission systems and precise maintenance requirements, so be prepared. Also, the diesel adds considerable weight to the front end which leaves little extra capacity for add-ons such as an aftermarket bumper or winch. Payback for the higher initial cost of a diesel is roughly 3 to 5 years. I chose the Cummins. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#8 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:54 AM

I have a 2500 CTD and honestly love the truck. I also tow. If I had to do it again, I would go either 2500 w/ hemi or 3500 SRW w/ the CTD, simply for payload for my camper. Look into the Aison transmission with which ever you choose if you go diesel... the 68rfe is ok, but the Aison is a real medium duty transmission. As noted, check on annual property taxes etc on a 11500 gvwr truck, some places will hit you hard. It's bad enough w/ a new 2500. Maintenance on the CTD is not that bad... though fuel filters are expensive. DEF isn't that big a deal either unless towing, it doesn't use much. I do enjoy the MPGs, as
good as 25 empty highway @65 and -18 mpg with camper on, especially with diesel the same price as unleaded here locally.

#9 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

i chose the 6.4 hemi in my current 15 2500. mostly because i am jaded by past diesels, maintenance cost of diesels, the overly complex systems on modern diesels etc. that and my wife can not stand the smell of diesel--ha. granted my old diesel was in a Ford E350 4x4 and had the 7.3L, so not a cummins. but i am bigger fan of the older cummins than the newer ones, all modern diesels are overly complex, ultra high PSI fuel systems, voltage drop makes injectors in-op, trail side repairs are more than likely not gonna happen. it cost roughly 2 times as much to maintain a diesel as it does a gasser (6.4 does require fully synthetic oil though--so oil change is high $), weigh about 500lbs more and are notorious for wearing out front end components. and thats past the $9000 premium price tag. the mpg numbers are getting closer, diesel mpg's coming down due to emissions requirements and gasser numbers are coming up, not a huge difference like there used to be.

of course taxes over 10000lb gvwr is something to consider in the 2500/3500 debate. my 15 2500 crew bab 6.4" box laramie has a gvwr of 10000lbs, cargo capacity of 3080lb, and towing of 17000lb. i cant see needing more than that personally, but that is me, not you

i would drive both, im liking the 6.4L hemi.

PS, i also went fomr a 02 Tundra access cab to the 3/4 ton, you will be happy either way

Edited by coguzzi, 12 July 2015 - 02:47 PM.

#10 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

According to the Ram site, the payload for a 2500 crewcab is 2230 lbs - that was the only reason I tossed around the 3500.  Sounds like the 2500 handles the camper just fine though and would suit my needs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users