• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:44 AM

Mike....High vehicle registration and taxing fees on a 3500 every year does not excite me.  Cost seems high!  A 2500 gives me the payload for my loaded Hawk with padding to grow.  Perhaps DMV fees in CA are high on the 2500 too?

I recently sold a Ford Ranger and at 5 years old the yearly reg. was $320. Everything is high in the workers paradise of California. My new '15 Chevy with a GVW of 7600LB was $611. The taxman always gets his cut. Also you can go by the Ram dealer and ask the salesman what the cost would be, they should have the info in their computer.

Mike

#22 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:55 AM

Mike....I know this is everywhere...the tax man gets his cut.  But, as you know, here in California, paradise is gray and getting darker every year for the middle class like you and me.  Enough said!  Still looking at my options......

#23 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:04 AM

For those of you who have diesel engines...what is the average maintenance cost annually for a Diesel, auto transmission, 3/4-1 ton, 4x4 with camper on 100% of the time? Not asking about fuel, tires or insurance, etc. Curious about maintenance such as: oil changes, fluids, preventive and must have service requirements to maintain a reliable well running engine.

Thanks to all.     

#24 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:26 AM

I put about 17K on my 2500 CTD a year.  Oil changes are between $50.00 and $80.00 depending if the dealer has a sale. 3 of those a year. Transmission service is about $150.00, Transfer Case about $75.00 and front and rear differentials about $125.00 each. I have all that done at the dealer once a year.  The fuel filter, air cleaner, etc. I do myself.  My Cummins is a 5.9 (2007) so don't know what the newer ones cost to maintain. ! have about 136K on the truck and only replacement items over normal maintenance has been one wheel bearing and a set of ball joints ($1100.00 total). It's on it's second set of brakes which I did myself. It got a new front end track bar under under recall and now waiting on airbag replacement under recall. All in all it's been a great truck and I have no plans of replacing it any time soon.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#25 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

I think the maintenance of diesels aren't really that different that gassers.  Fluid changes for transmission, transfer case, differentials are no different than any other truck.  Oil changes are though as you typically use full synthetic.  If you do it yourself though, it's not that bad and synthetics will last 10k miles so 2x conventional oil.  Engine life is 3x (or more) of a gasser though.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#26 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for your impute.

#27 Daped

Daped

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:20 AM

I own a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 HD Cummins with a very loaded Four Wheel Hawk on its back. I have put on about 8000 miles. The last time I parked it, it was averaging 20 MPG, and I have filled it twice with DEF. I have had some problems with the "UConnect" and the "radio", resulting in bizarre instrument cluster readings and random electronic events. One time the truck started and idled remotely without any instructions from me. Mostly check engine light misgivings. These problems seem to be fixed now, and am very happy with this set up.

Edited by Daped, 06 August 2015 - 01:36 AM.

#28 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:35 AM

Some where in my past life, I remember a maxim from a colleague. "You can't always make the right decision, so make the decision right."

The trucks today are all so good, I don't know if you can make a bad decision.

I am haunted by waters

#29 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:18 AM

Daped, 

Those are some impressive MPG numbers....strange about the electronics however. Do your (mpg) numbers reflect a "broken in" engine?  I have heard a few different times that the Cummings diesel take several thousand miles to break it in? 

#30 Daped

Daped

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:06 AM

Not sure when I can expect "broken-in mileage", my truck has only 8000 miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users