• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:19 AM

I've had two different 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesels.  Maintenance is simple and no harder than a gasser.  I do all of my own maintenance and just did most of it prepping for a long road trip (including new brake fluid and power steering fluid).  I've been having Blackstone Laboratories (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) check my last two engine oil samples to see where I am with the elements and properties of my oil when I change it.  My last two oil changes were at 6,500 miles and per the lab results I should run the oil at least 8,000 miles for the next test to see how it looks, because at 6,500 miles the oil still has a lot of life.

Also, I've never heard of a diesel engine requiring synthetic engine oil.  Maybe on the newer ones, but I run Chevron Delo 400 15-40W in all of my trucks.

The expensive part of the maintenance I think is the diff fluid changes.  The synthetic oil for the front and rear requires quite a bit and it's not cheap.  Everything else is not bad at all.  I buy my 15-40W oil at Costco on sale and it comes in a box of 3 one gallon jugs for about $32 (if I remember).  I run all Cummins filters that I get at Geno's garage and always buy a few extras to have on hand.

If I had to put an average cost on maintenance I'd say it's probably $200 to $300/year, but like I said I do all of my own maintenance so it saves me quite a bit of money.  An oil change at my local dealership is over $125 I believe!  Where the cost of a diesel is going to get you is if you have to rebuild the transmission or install new fuel injectors (>$2,000).  I run a Glacier Diesel 2 micron fuel filter to help delay that cost!

Edited by Bwht4x4, 06 August 2015 - 05:24 AM.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users