Photo
- - - - -

Noob Questions: FWC Fleet Bed Sizing, FWC Solar/Power setup and costs, hot water external shower?

Solar Electric Bed FWC Costs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

Hi kifo4173,

The bed in the Fleet is several inches smaller each way than a king. Between queen-size and kind-size. Without the pull-out part, it's about the size of a single bed - a little wider. If you are sleeping alone and not tall, you could use it that way and leave it made up. But, even with the pull-out it's not that difficult to make the bed each day. The hard part is tucking the sheets under at the front - you have to climb up on the bed - and you can leave that part made up. Just untuck the bedding at the bottom and flip it up on top, then remove the four cushions that comprise the lower part of the bed and slide in the pull-out. At night, put the cushions back and tuck everything in. You do it kneeling on the benches. You can lay the pillows out on top of the bed before you put the top down, if they're not too thick.

The stock FWC mattress is good for me. Don't assume you need something better until you have tried it for a while.

To me, there's plenty of room an a Fleet for one person and enough for two. But, we've never lived in there for more than a few days at a time. Maybe it would start to feel too crowded for two after a while. Depends on the people, I guess. (I generally want to be outside as much as possible.) The best thing would be to find a way to look at one - lie on the bed and sit at the table for a while. They probably don't have all the models at the various dealers, but you can see them all at the factory in California (That's what I did). I don't know where you live, but maybe you can find someone in your area who has one and would let you go and see it. For example, if you are in the Mid-Atlanic area, you can come an see mine.

The data on the success of various solar installations is indeed overwhelming! People with similar setups report both sucess and failure. While I am in the process of installing solar power equipment (2 x 75 AH batteries, 2 x 100 W collectors, CTEK controller and TriMetric monitor), I don't have total confidence that it will meet my needs (65 liter frige and nightly CPAP machine use). Good luck!

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#12 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

I just bought the camper you're looking at. Fleet forward dinette, 80l compressor fridge, flush mount sink and stove, water heater, inside and outside shower.
So far we love the camper.

The bed width is around 73" if I remember right (I'm across the country right now). Length is 76-78" fully deployed. Without the pull out extended it is about 48x73". I have an artic pack (I highly recommend for heat or cold, as well as darkness/privacy), and wouldn't try to leave bedding up top. Instead we bought an "Rv superbag". Basically a king size two person sleeping bag with velcro in sheets. No making a bed, just throw it up there and be done. It is a little overpriced but super convenient and nice to have a normal style bedding vs a sleeping bag. Before I close the camper, I zip it up, fold it 3 times from the bottom and put it on one of the dinette seats, pillows on top. The extra bed cushions sit on top of the dinette table and have a single bunjee cord holding them there. Very quick, easy and comfortable.

I haven't used the inside shower yet, but have used the outside shower and water heater for my daughter. She is 14 months and loves playing in sand and dirt. It is very nice to be able to clean up outside.

As for storage in the camper, there is a lot more than I expected. I could easily full time in this camper by myself. Storage under both dinette seats, under the sink, under the fridge, right side of the fridge, above there, etc. Some room behind dinette cushions. I also have the battery compartment for storage as my agm batteries are behind the rear seat of my Tacoma.

I have 300 watts of solar, an mppt controller, and 3 group 34 agms (one is a starter battery). The starter battery is isolated with a blue sea automatic charge relay, all batteries and camper hooked up using 2 gauge wire. I have seen over 15 amps from the solar and I'm sure I can get a great bulk charge from the alternator with 2 gauge wire. So far if I leave the fridge and roof fan running all night, with a phone charging, batteries are at 12.6v when I wake up. But it is summer. Solar and battery sizing takes a lot of calculating, or trial and error. Lots of ways to do it.

#13 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

I have an Eagle, not a Fleet, but for bedding I use a North Face double bag and Big Agnes memory foam/inflatable pillows. I just deflate the pillows, fold the bag over, and leave it all on the bed. Plenty of room to let the top down. I also put two of the extra cushions on the countertop held with a bungee and use the small area between the cushions and the wall to store misc items that might otherwise bounce around the cabin. I put the other two cushions on the passenger side by the window held in place with the side dinette table.

I think the Feet forward dinette has more storage options than my Eagle so I can't speak to that. I did add an Aluminess rear bumper with deluxe box for more outside storage, though. I do carry a generator in there, too, although I don't use it much since my 100w solar keeps up when it's sunny and I'm driving every day. For long rainy periods, especially when I'm using my laptop a lot to process photos, I do use the generator to top off the batteries.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#14 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

Brian, great post. Was your solar installed by FWC?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#15 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:44 AM

Brian, great post. Was your solar installed by FWC?
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

I installed the solar. 2x 100w and 2x 50 watt renology panels. I arranged them this way to leave the rear drivers side clear for a cargo box or similar, and the cross bars won't shade the panels. You could easily do 400 watts. I'm using a blue sky 3000i controller. So far I'm impressed, with a light overcast at 30 minutes after sunrise I can see a couple amps charging. 6-8 amps on a full overcast day or with partial shading on the panels. Around 2amps with the house blocking all direct sun but with a clear sky late in the afternoon. Up to 15 amps in full sun with a good angle.

2DE80852-96CD-4EB5-8655-7706BDF60CB9.jpg
607C6E42-AF03-40FD-9DFA-AE4C2BD6C72A.jpg

Camper batteries behind the passenger rear seat, during an absorption charge on solar. I think my cheapo meter reads .1v high or so. The starter battery is also being charged and read the same voltage +/- .02v
4DA98E7F-1B7D-48D3-A160-A785F267D4EE.jpg

I forgot to comment on the foam mattress as well. I'm 30 but have chronic neck and back pain due to different injuries. I've spent 5 or 6 nights in the campers and slept very well, surprisingly. So try it before you assume you'll need a different mattress pad.

Edited by brianjwilson, 18 July 2015 - 12:45 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar, Electric, Bed, FWC, Costs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users