• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

Our long time (10+ years) moderately sophisticated point-and-shoot camera lens motor began to sound weak so we moved to the current generation moderately sophisticated point-and-shoot camera and were less happy with our full sun landscape pictures.  Comparing the older camera automatic settings with the new one showed an aperture switch from typically f5.0-5.6 to f3.0-4.0 in full sun.  Setting the new camera to fixed aperture f5.6 produced the desired picture results.  Just curious (since I am happy with the results), does anyone routinely set fixed aperture for full sun landscape pictures and if so at what value?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

I typically try for the sweet spot of the lens. Usually f8-f11. DSLR and aperture priority or manual mode most of the time.

I am haunted by waters

#3 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:14 PM

My point-and-shoot goes up to f8.0 which I have never tried.  I assume f11 is your maximum f-stop.  Any special conditions to look for when using a maximum f-stop (tripod, distance, etc) other than full sun?  How do you tell what the "sweet spot" of the lens is?  thanks.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

My point-and-shoot goes up to f8.0 which I have never tried.  I assume f11 is your maximum f-stop.  Any special conditions to look for when using a maximum f-stop (tripod, distance, etc) other than full sun?  How do you tell what the "sweet spot" of the lens is?  thanks.

Depending on which lens I am shooting, my smallest aperture is typically either f22 or f32.    I almost never shoot that stopped down because of the diffraction that is introduced.   My largest apertures are f2.8 to f4, so I typically stop down three or four stops to get a good depth of field (DOF) and limit diffraction.   My assumption is that somewhere around f5.6 would be the stop that gives you the best DOF.   I suspect that diffraction will not be an issue at f8, but you have a pretty small sensor in the point-and-shoot, so I am just guessing.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

When you want the foreground and background to be on focus, it's not uncommon to stop down to f11 or f16. Wide angle lenses don't need as much. On my 14mm lens f8 works fine for landscape.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users