• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Set my new (to me) Grandby on the truck (Ram) last weekend. I'm not crazy about the factory mounting idea - eyebolt with fender washers through bed sheetmetal. I crawled around underneath, but can't make it hit a cross membr, and building a custom bracket to the frame looks impossible.

My truck came with the Happijac system already installed, so I'm considering external tie downs. Anyone use this mounting system? What did the attachment points on the camper look like? How do they attach to the camper (bolt clear through with plate on the inside?) I wouldn't mind on the carpet areas, but there is a countertop in the passenger side rear corner. Does FWC provide external (to the bed) mounts if requested (just curious). What's optimum angle of the tiedowns? To clear the rear fender, my rear bracket must extend 3" or so past the camper wall (about the same amount as the jacks). Anyone have pics of these brackets or the camper mounted with the Happijac system?

#2 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

Have you also considered bolting through the floor of the camper, instead of using the standard mounting locations?

#3 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hello AK Nomad

From time to time we get customers mounting their campers with Happijac tie downs.

Most of these customers attached the turn buckles with a piece of chain to the camper "Jack Brackets".

(see sample pictures attached)

Hope this helps with a visual

Attached Thumbnails

• 1234.JPG
  • 12345.JPG
  • 1234567.JPG
  • 123456789.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#4 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

From time to time we get customers mounting their campers with Happijac tie downs.

Is there any Pros or Cons vs the current/standard/normal method?

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

In those pictures the chain does not seem to make much of a triangle. Could the camper slide around including out the back?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. I thought about doing exactly what Stan shows (thanks for the great pics, Stan) but was wanting to improve on the angles a bit. I would prefer the front to pull down and forward, the rear to pull down and rearward (to keep things from moving on long, rough roads). I have considered bolting through the floor (I've done it with an older pop-up camper) but wanted to explore the Happijac mounts first as it would make on/off much easier. The Happijac setup would also allow use of springloaded turnbuckles (I havn't researched them at all yet, just seen them at the local RV shop).

flinchlock - pros/cons of standard attachment inside the bed from my viewpoint:
pros
-simple
-inexpensive
-lightweight
-nothing hanging outside the bed to get hung-up on (visualize narrow, backwoods trail)
-to some point, you can adjust the eyebolt location in the truck-bed to optimize the angle of attachment (including side to side)
cons
-on my truck, I can't hit a bed crossmember unless the turnbuckle is at an extreme angle; and so I must mount the eyebolt through one layer of sheetmetal (with fender washer or plate on bottom side of course). I'd rather not damage the truckbed, or worse yet, have the camper rip loose on some rough road in the middle of nowhere.
-not as easy to keep an eye on while traveling (for loosening)

Anybody build custom brackets on their camper for external tie downs?

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:13 AM

Hi AK Nomad,

Les aka "lqhikers" has some writeups on this subject. I did a search on his name and came up with three possibilities for you. There may be more?

http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=753

http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=595

http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=654

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

I'm not sure ???

I don't think it would slide out the back.

It seemed to work ok when we did it, but we were NOT doing any off road use ??

=====================================================

In those pictures the chain does not seem to make much of a triangle. Could the camper slide around including out the back?

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#9 drakeslayer

drakeslayer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

I used to have stake pocket mount camper mounts with turnbuckles holding my Grandby in my Ford truck. I wheeled it all over and in some pretty rough stuff and never had a problem. I just zip tied the turn buckles at both ends so they would not loosen.

#10 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

In talking with different local folks I understand that there are optimum angles, etc. but sometimes you got what you got, and generally speaking people have few troubles, especially with these lightweights (FWC).

My stake pockets are basically inaccessible (an inch or two clearance) with the camper mounted, so I can't see how they could be used.:confused:

Last night I made 4 brackets from angle iron, and will bolt them through the camper and get it tied down. Hope I can take it out this weekend for the first time. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users