22 replies to this topic

#11 MowFam08

MowFam08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLathrop, California

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

Thank you Stan@FourWheel for sharing Scott's experiment and results.  I agree with your post, those head-to-head results are compelling and lend toward 2-way with solar panel(s)--particularly for those of us in hotter climates.

www.LEADadventures.org

"Empowering Youth to Discover Their Leader Within"

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:18 PM

OK so I have a small fan,from an old computer.Can and how do I use it in the upper vent area of my 1.9cf Dometic fridge?

Does it run off a switch that I would have to turn on when using propane?

I have had good luck with my 3 way,but we don't camp in HOT areas.

And I keep the temp set on the lowest so things stay mostly frozen and use the Truckfridge/comp. cooler for all other food.

This method works well for us.So far at least.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

Frank,
The computer fans would work fine for this application. My hawk had the original FWC fan that is essentially a computer fan. I then spliced in 2 other fans to that same wire.
It is hooked to a switch in the camper. I turn it on when I'm running the fridge and it's warm outside.

I noticed an improvement even when I switched compressor fan setup. More air flow keeps the compartment cool. Even the compressor creates heat - just nothing like the 3 way does.

I think FWC should install 2-3 of them as standard options for any fridge setup. They are cheap and make a big difference.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:12 PM

Frank,
The computer fans would work fine for this application. My hawk had the original FWC fan that is essentially a computer fan. I then spliced in 2 other fans to that same wire.
It is hooked to a switch in the camper. I turn it on when I'm running the fridge and it's warm outside.

I noticed an improvement even when I switched compressor fan setup. More air flow keeps the compartment cool. Even the compressor creates heat - just nothing like the 3 way does.

I think FWC should install 2-3 of them as standard options for any fridge setup. They are cheap and make a big difference.

Thanks DrJ.

The fan I would use draws .25a,I think I could just mount it to the outside upper vent panel. Than wire a switch inside maybe in the fuse block area.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:07 AM

I have a three way in mine, I have had good luck. I use it to keep my Bait frozen when I am catfishing. I stuff it full of cut bait and I have never had a problem. I don't take milk and I am not a fan of lunch meat. I mostly keep water, an adult beverage or two. Maybe let over pizza. I put mine of high and in the day I turn on the fridge fan. At night I watch a movie with my dinner ( fried catfish) and let the battery charge on the Generator. I normally turn the fan off at night because it is somewhat cooler. 

I took Ice Cream out with me to scout for antelope. It was over 90 at night. My ice Cream was solid, my water was cold enough and the adult beverages were cold enough. 

If I have something I want to keep colder I place it by the fins in the back of the fridge. Mine just works. 

#16 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:56 AM

My 3 way works fine until ambient temp gets into the 90s. max temp difference between fridge and outside temp is 40-45 degrees depending on how level the rig is(level is very important). I have the cooling fan and run it always for max performance. In the hot temps you have to adjust the fridge setting a couple times a day, 3-4 during the night and maxed out during the day.The biggest advantage to the 3 way is I can run almost 2 weeks, rain or shine or parked in the shade on propane in 90 degree weather, maybe longer in cool weather. Having said that, I would probably go with a 2 way fridge and expanded solar system with 200-300 amp/hr battery bank if I got a new rig.

#17 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:06 AM

My 2009 Hawk has the 3-way fridge. We like it for our situation but may not meet your needs. We keep in running 24/7 between weekend outings; the freezer keeps everything frozen and all the condiments in the door and everything that we keep in the fridge stay just fine. On the road, we do worry about lettuce and other vegetables freezing sometimes; most small refrigerators (and kegerators) don't have good air/temp circulation. We also live in the Pacific Northwest which probably means we don't have the extreme temperatures experienced by folks in the Southwest. We do keep a lot in the fridge and are happy so far. There's a lot more energy in a propane tank that in a battery, so we never worry about fuel when running on gas.

Because there wasn't room for much beer in the fridge, I bought an Dometic/Engel compressor fridge that I keep in the cab back seat but power from the camper. It keeps the beer cold and also keeps vegetables from freezing. I love how temperature-controllable it is (compared to the 3-way), BUT I have to be careful with the electricity amp usage. I don't get to/want to camp in direct all-day sunlight very often so I have to watch my battery and even occasionally turn off the electric fridge.

So, I recommend people review the advantages and disadvantages of each type of fridge and use that to decide which would be best for their particular situation.

#18 wpage66

wpage66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

I am still doing some experimenting on settings, comparing gas vs electric when I left this AM it was at 34 inside and 70 outside and that was with the exhaust fan on for the last day, I only have one which was a factory install and on the build sheet.

Asking again, does anyone know where to adjust the gas control?  If the thermostat actually works it has to adjust the gas flow.  I assume it never shuts it off completely as it has no auto-lighter to start up again if fridge warms up past setting.  I am curious how the fridge adjust the gas flow and what is the max setting that can be attained on the flame.

I will check level and get it perfectly blocked up tonight, close right now but not exactly level.  Last two times out we were on a pad at lake campgrounds and still no joy with fridge.

I am thinking that the best replacement is the Dometic 3.8 CoolMatic CR whose dimensions are 20.5"Wx29 5/8"H x 21 3/4" cutout size would be a prefect fit for the current space with a 3.75 amp draw.

I figure the one I have is a 2005-2007 Norcold 300 model as the Hawk is a 2007

Considering options,

Edited by wpage66, 16 September 2015 - 01:35 PM.

purchased used, 2007 Hawk, fridge, hot water, awning, sitting on 2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel Pro4X.

Learning the tricks and trying to keep my mod bug in check.

#19 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:11 PM

wpage66

Does the front of your refrigerator look like this ??

If so, the knob that says 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. is your gas flow adjustment.

5 will be the coldest setting.

Attached Thumbnails

• REFRIGERATOR LIGHTING PROCESS.jpg

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 16 September 2015 - 03:13 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#20 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:05 AM

I turned on my 2-way CR1065 the week before Memorial day weekend, It's been running ever since.

I just set it, fill it and forget it, even with the truck not being driven for over 3 weeks in July. 2-way + twin batteries and 350W of solar has simply revolutionized what I can expect from my setup.

Edited by Kodachrome, 19 September 2015 - 12:06 AM.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fridge, Gas, 3-way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users