58 replies to this topic

#21 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:47 PM

That makes sense. I like idea of marking the legs. I just use a tape. Wish I had room in my garage and a level drive way
Have to store it at a storage place
Probably need to raise the roof once or twice over the winter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#22 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

I just measured my Grandby which I just opened in the garage.  Hooked the tape on the rear awning rail, it measured 82" down to the bottom of the camper.  Need to add 2 -2.5" to that to allow for the height of the roof vent, I think.  Factory says closed height is 59" and adding the 24" of the popup to that gives you 83", so it's somewhere in the 83-84.5" height range.

I have an F350 4x4, with the camper on I clear the 95" door opening by one inch, with the racks removed.  Depending on your vehicle height you may not need to remove the racks to drive into the garage with it on your truck.

FYI I raised a light fixture in order to have it be a couple inches above the camper when raised up (while on the truck).  Floor to light tubes in 115", so that's about the inside height needed to open it on a truck with the bed sitting about 36" off the ground.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#23 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:47 AM

DesertDave - Thanks for the info.  Looks like I might be able to raise the height of the dolly if I choose to and still be able to open the camper.  I'll see how much of a pain it is to raise and lower.  But right now, when the dolly is not in use, it is short enough to store out of the way under my boat trailer.

Really looking forward to getting this new FWC Hawk Shell!

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#24 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:36 PM

Looks like someone else is tired of waiting too.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#25 Oly Bill

Oly Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOlympia, WA

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:20 PM

Not Necessary But Nice if you have SHOREPOWER! 1) Get the smallest Microwave Oven for about $70, 2) Bread Toaster for EGGOS w/syrup & margarine, 3) Mini Keurig for your favorite single cups of Coffee or Carmel Cappuccino, 4) Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker $25, 5) Ready-Set-Go Cooker for most Fish, Oysters, Scallops, Hamburger Paddies...6) Small George Foreman Grill, 7) 8x8 inch wide by about 1 inch + deep oven bake pans to be used as food plates >see your local Dollar Store. 8) Chinet 12" x 10" HD Paper Plates (at Costco), 9) 2 Aluminum or Iron 8" Square Dutch Ovens, 10) Maybe a Sandwich/Waffle (Panini) Maker. Then resolve to go on many strenuous hikes to neutralize the the many flavorable calories gained (or not). 

#26 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:00 PM

I don't know that I've never seen a square dutch oven.

#27 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:52 AM

Oly Bill - Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't plan on using shore power for the majority of places I go. Minimalist camping is what I try to achieve plus keeping the weight down.

One thing I have to add to the budget is E rated tires. But no hurry on that until next spring. I only plan on a few short trips early winter to work out the system and see what I need to add to the shell. Won't think about taking it out when the below zero (F) weather arrives!

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#28 Oly Bill

Oly Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOlympia, WA

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

Ace! On 9-5-1997, I ordered two 9" x 9" Cast Aluminum Dutch Ovens for $50 each & an Aluminum "Gripper" Pliers. My Dutch Ovens weigh 6 pounds each. See their products & colorful family history at: http://woodydutchoven.com/

18 years later, they costs about twice as much but are very durable & useful. 

#29 Oly Bill

Oly Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOlympia, WA

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

TrapperMike, In January 2003, I flattened my 2 passenger side 4 Ply Tires on a narrow logging road. This was very troubling because I only had one Jack & 1 Spare Tire!!! These "wimpy" tires came w/my new 2003 GMC 1500 Sierra. I quickly replaced these w/4 Les Schwab LT245/75R-16/6 108/104S Open Country AT 6 PLY Tires. These tires worked well & I replaced them in January 2015, after 53,000 miles w/the very same tires. HOWEVER, I now wish I would have chosen an "E" Rated 10 PLY Tire instead of 6 ply. I get very nervous & cautious when driving on logging roads such as : 1) Gold Hills gravel road at the Crystal Mtn Ski Resort, & 2) the very steep gravel USFS Road #74 to Corral Pass. Both roads are in WA State.  

#30 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

yes 10ply tires are great but if you are mounting them on a half ton be aware of the weight of the tire that you buy , some can be very heavy..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users