9 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:55 AM

WTW is on my short list.  The whole world is out there, but this site and the great folks that are here inspire me and I follow along almost every day I'm online.  I follow along on a macbook, an android phone, an iPad and sometimes a PC.  My beef is with the mobile device interface.

Every time I go to WTW on my android phone or iPad I have to deal with a screen that suggests I must get the app for a better experience.  Not really.  I got tired of it on the iPad and finally succumbed to visiting the Apple Store to get the app.  After several clicks I'm informed me the item I've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store.  Yet, every visit I face the same screen before I can get to the site.  Sigh.

My android experience is different.  The top of the screen always suggests I try the app.   I've tried tapatalk, but for various reasons, I don't find their platform to be very useful.  I find the web browser experience to be just fine, yet the top of the screen is always wasting space on my 5" phone display suggesting I must get the app!

I wish it was possible to either: have a real app that works well, or let you opt out, via a cookie or some web magic, so you don't have to deal with the ongoing demand to install an app on your mobile device.  

-----------end of rage against the machine------------- 

Edited by Lighthawk, 01 October 2015 - 03:34 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:06 AM

I installed the app on my Android tablet.  I like the usability of the web site, but the app...not so much.  The app is so completely different from the web interface it feels like a different community.  Fortunately the web site works fine on a 10" tablet and I have no use for the app.  I do agree the "in your face" reminders are a bit much.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

I use an android tablet and prefer the web browser. I was also tired of the annoying rectangle that screamed get the WTW App. I believe I found a little x somewhere on in, clicked it, and it has never come back.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

I found the X and it went away, but it does come back every now and again. But I just click the x again. I tried the app too, but didn't like it. The web version feels more like "home" to me. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#5 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

I found an "x" on the Tapatalk header, clicked that and it hasn't come back. I haven't found any way to disable the startup screen asking about the WTW app. I did experience the "item not available in the US store" message after several clicks. A bit frustrating, yes.

I too am fine with the web version on my iPhone.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:49 PM

I used to get that request for the WTW app.Just like you didn't work.So thought why do I really need it.

I still go the old fashioned way.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:21 PM

Found the X on the android device, which closed the box.

However, using an iPad I still have to stop at a screen that screams to get the app.  The app that doesn't exist.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 solinski

solinski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationredding,ca.

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

To any and all,

Any updated info. on the  WTW app? I have an android phone with a :(  minuscule 3 inch screen, so the app would be nice.

Thanks! solinski

#9 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

https://play.google....tcomforum&hl=en

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#10 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

I've used the WTW app for years and it works great.  Started on a Galaxy S3 but now it's on a Galaxy S7.  They've made a lot of improvements to the app.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: app, mobile device, WTW, iPad, Android, browser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users