#1 willb122

willb122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:15 AM

Hey all,

Wanted to share a story here for all you FWC owners out there. 

I recently bought a used FWC on a Nissan Frontier from a fellow a few hours away from me. I'm on the east coast and had been scouring the web for used ones to save some money...when opportunity came I grabbed it, a 2013 Fleet model that looked and felt brand new. 

The plan was to scoop the camper, leave my job, head west for a 3 month road trip while I figure out where I want to settle down. Being an east coast born and raised 24 year old dude with nothing tying me down and some money saved up...it seemed like the time was right. I have always wanted to live out west and also live out of a car and bum around the nations rivers whitewater kayaking and fishing. After doing months of research on everything from old RVs to sprinter vans...I fell in love with the idea of an FWC. And now I finally had one!

Well, 48 hours after I got it...took it to DMV, got plates on the truck and everything was all good to go.

Then it got hit in a home depot parking lot. A guy in a Chevy Econo work van swiped the corner of the camper with his van and tore back the paneling on the back and broke off part of the aluminum frame. Jeez!

IMG_2754.jpg

Luckily he waited for me to come out of the store. We exchanged insurance info...etc

Tried to get it repaired at a local RV repair place...after a week of having it in there they concluded they wouldn't be able to do it and that Four Wheel pretty much insists on doing the repairs themselves. I was trying to avoid having to send it out to California.

It'll go out to the factory in a couple weeks from Mainline Overland near Philadelphia and will return to me hopefully soon when the repairs are done and when another load of new campers comes back. Insurance just confirmed yesterday that they're paying for everything! The folks at four wheel and mainline have been awesome too...they have been a real help with everything.

So my roadtrip plan got pushed off til spring...no big deal. At first I was worried...bummed, but life is too short for that. I'll stick around save up some more money this winter and start planning my trip. And dreaming about getting my Fleet back!

So when the road throws you a curve ball...just roll with it. It was probably meant to happen this way anyway! Here's to future adventures

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

,..........bummed, but life is too short for that. I'll stick around save up some more money this winter and start planning my trip. And dreaming about getting my Fleet back!

Welcome to WTW. You have a good attitude that will serve you well. Best of luck with your travel and plans!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

What a first post!

I carry my camper on my truck all of the time and worry about this exact thing happening.

I often park away from everyone else too, hoping to avoid this.

I'm sure one day I'll do this too - but probably with a tree. 

Best of luck in getting it fixed. I am most impressed with the overall craftsmanship of FWC.

They should do a great job of putting it all together.

Keep us updated!

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#4 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:37 AM

Its suppose to a very wet fall (el nino) so its probably better you pushed your trip to spring. Look forward to reading about your trip.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#5 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

Ouch, glad it was covered anyway.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

Welcome to the FWC family!

I'm in NC and have driven 2 transcon trips the past 5 months.  So moving out there is the right call if you hear the "calling"!

Sorry to hear about the accident.  But, rest assured, all the guys at the factory will have it as good as new.  Be sure to talk to Stan so all the appropriate upgrades and enhancements you desire can be installed while they are doing the repairs.

Even though your camper is on the way to the factory, you should consider heading to Overland Expo - East in Asheville, NC this weekend.  FWC is a title sponsor and the FWC people will be there.  Of course, you're in good hands with the northeast FWC dealer.

While I have always parked in the "back 40" at all big box stores with the idea of getting exercise walking to the door, I especially do it now-a-days with my camper in the bed.  Too many folks talking and textinig on cell phones or admonishing kids while driving.  Operating machinery in a safe manner seems to be the last thing on most peoples mind when driving.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

Yes, good attitude and good luck with the repairs. You will be camping eventually.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

Good Luck and for sure a great attitude.  FWC will make it look brand new.  Post your travels.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

Might be an opportunity to drive it out to FWC in California.  You could spend your time working in Sacramento until it's done.

#10 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

Welcome - That is a sad story, but I was just thinking the same thing as Ace! . . . . what about driving it to CA?

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users