• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Since I started this discussion I've talked a lot with Chris Triplett at camera-source.com. They can easily provide Ram owners with a great camera you can attach right to your license plate or mount on your FWC. There is one catch, the connector from the rear of the truck to the tailgate is proprietary and camera-source is unable to procure them. It's been a few months since talking with Chris, but I've emailed him to find out if there's been any resolution to this problem.

Thanks to turn_one for giving us all a clean solution with all OEM parts, this is probably the only solution for now. The OEM camera, camera harness, and the jumper cable part numbers all seem to vary, I went into Carson Dodge and got the numbers for my truck and along with that a blank look when they told me the prices.

If I get any good news from camera-source before I decide to go the OEM route, I'll post.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#22 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

I went to OEM route - got a camera for about 80 on ebay and the harnesses (there are 2) from various online dealers - I think I was into it for about $150 in parts total.  The 2nd camera is mounted on the back of my Hallmark and it sure is nice having the function when the camper is on.  The only part I complain about is the stupid OEM plug design is a bit tricky to unplug and plug back in when removing the tailgate.  But a small price to pay for the back up safety.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#23 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:09 AM

Since I started this discussion I've talked a lot with Chris Triplett at camera-source.com. They can easily provide Ram owners with a great camera you can attach right to your license plate or mount on your FWC. There is one catch, the connector from the rear of the truck to the tailgate is proprietary and camera-source is unable to procure them. It's been a few months since talking with Chris, but I've emailed him to find out if there's been any resolution to this problem.

Thanks to turn_one for giving us all a clean solution with all OEM parts, this is probably the only solution for now. The OEM camera, camera harness, and the jumper cable part numbers all seem to vary, I went into Carson Dodge and got the numbers for my truck and along with that a blank look when they told me the prices.

If I get any good news from camera-source before I decide to go the OEM route, I'll post.

Just noticed this discussion. I installed an OEM camera in 2014 in the same location as turn_one after not finding any OEM-compatible aftermarket systems. I kept the tailgate camera intact for when I off-load the camper. Installation was relatively straightforward and it is nice to have plug-and-play. I considered mounting it higher up on the back of the camper but could not figure out a good way--wish I was handier in the shop.

The OEM tailgate camera is designed to point down from a protected location, so the bumper mount has some disadvantages: the driver's side view is partially blocked, the license plate light causes flare at night, dirt and moisture collect on the lens, and the display's guide lines (which I turned off) are useless. Still, I find the camera useful and worth the effort.

And, yes, the OEM harness has bizarre, proprietary connectors for no apparent reason. But what I really don't understand is why Ram and other manufacturers do not have a stock solution for when the tailgate is off or down. These trucks are designed to remove the tailgate so what do they expect us to do? If the backup camera is useful--it will be mandatory by 2018--why design it for part-time use?

Edited by Bigfoot, 19 January 2016 - 03:11 AM.

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#24 Potts208

Potts208

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

I recently installed OEM camera using parts listed by northshorehenry (thanks for figuring out the part numbers). I housed the camera in a 1.25" type LB electrical conduit attached to a Simpson strong-tie staircase angle. Also used some rubber washers around the camera lens. The staircase angle holes match up perfectly (7" apart) to the screws that affix the rear license plate holder to the bumper. I had to spread open the staircase angle so that the camera angle was sufficiently pointed down. I use a brophy hitch step so the camera housing isnt in the way of getting in/out of camper. All in all pretty happy with its function.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
2002 Grandby on a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi

#25 BowAholic

BowAholic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationarkansas ozarks

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

looks like a great way to protect the camera... great (cheap :) ) idea!

#26 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

That looks like a clean install!   My only concern would be catching it with my size 14s while entering or exiting the camper...

post-6379-0-79814200-1453739791_thumb.jp

I am haunted by waters

#27 Potts208

Potts208

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

That looks like a clean install!   My only concern would be catching it with my size 14s while entering or exiting the camper...

post-6379-0-79814200-1453739791_thumb.jp

I may move the camera housing as far to the passenger side as I can without limiting access to the spare tire port. My door hinges on that side. I also might try to snug it up closer underneath the door. I probably wont do either until I (or soeone else) steps on it that forces the fix. But, your right, it is "catchable even with size 9s. At least the camera is protected :)

#28 BowAholic

BowAholic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationarkansas ozarks

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

I looked at the 1.25" type LB electrical conduit today and it's huge... :)  Any way it would fit a smaller size like 1" ?  I'll take my camera with me the next time I go and see what it will fit inside.  Also, how did you attach the camera inside the conduit LB?

thanks,

Bob

#29 Potts208

Potts208

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

It is huge. I wanted to use a 3/4 or 1" but couldnt get the camera housing (square) to fit inside anything smaller than the 1.25" so that the camera bracket would mount flush on the inside. image.jpeg

#30 poinrobe

poinrobe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:35 AM

I wanted to give thanks to those folks who have contributed this thread and give a litle report on how I solved this issue.  I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman model and really wanted to have the same quality backup camera view that the rear tailgate offers.  I ordered the parts as spec'd in NorthShoreHenry's prior post.  I ordered the harnesses from an online Ram distributor and got a used camera from someone on ebay.  I paid 75.00 for the camera and about 100 for the harnessess (obviously a total ripoff).

I considered mounting the stock camera low by the licence plate as others have done but I didn't like this option for 2 reasons.  First, I was concerned about  accidentally kicking it when I was getting into the camper.  Second, I often have a dirtbike or mountain bike on a hitch carrier when I am camping and I was concerned that the view from the low mount would be blocked by whatever was on the hitch mount.  So I opted to mount it to the camper door. I mounted it high enough that I wouldn't hit my head on it.  Then I considered how to mount the stock camera.  It looks pretty robust but I don't think it is water proof so i decided to try to fabricate a waterproof case for the camera.  I opted give 3D printing a try.  I had been wanting to try this out and this seemed like a good project for it.  I had used Google Sketchup before for other projects so I decided to give it a shot.  Google sketchup is an awesome program and I highly recommend it. After a little fiddling I was able to to export a 3D print file ( .STL).  I then used 3DHUBS.com to find a guy in my neighborhood to print it.  I opted to print it in ABS as it seemed to be appropriate for this application.  I paid 27.00 through paypal and picked up the next day!! I was amazed that my first set of measurements were just about spot on and that camera fit perfectly and the case snapped together just as designed.

So then I just had to mount it.  Before I could do that I had to dissect the wiring harnesses and splice together the various wires ( 6 total).  I soldered and heat shrinked all the connections.  Fortunately when I plugged in the camera, the image came on the backup screen! I then had my wife hold the camera in place while I sat in the cab so we could figure out the best angle to mount the camera.  i then fabricated a simple bent aluminum mounting plate out of some scrap I had lying around. I placed the wire in black plastic flexible sheathing and carefully mounted to camera and the new wiring harness with self drilling sheet metal screws.  

In the end, I am very happy with the result.  I can pass the 3D print file to anyone who wants to give this project a try.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160402_174013.jpg
  • 20160402_174120.jpg
  • 20160402_174139.jpg
  • 20160403_095459.jpg
  • 20160404_141427.jpg
  • 20160307_155507.jpg

Edited by poinrobe, 05 April 2016 - 12:55 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Backup, camera, ram, dodge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users