I like it, great work Mark!!

#32 BowAholic

BowAholic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationarkansas ozarks

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

I finally did this and it worked great.  I did use the next smaller size PVC...which is way cheaper and way smaller... you just have to use a half round file and remove the small lip inside the hole that the camera fits into.  It only takes a few seconds and makes a perfect fit.

thanks!

#33 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

This is what I did.

NOT part #68200274-AA. That part number is a six pin plug/wiring harness and everything on the back of the truck is eight pins.

https://flic.kr/p/AqjWcm

Not it! That is the 10 foot extension that is intended to run to the back of a chassis model however, I believe the reason it is only six pins is because it doesn't need the additional wires for the locking tailgate.

So you need the entire OEM wiring harness which is part #68189124-AB and #68224929-AA. One connects to the truck bed (after you have removed the tailgate) and then the other completes the connection to the camera (which is normally INSIDE the tailgate). Don't ask why they needed to make this harness in to two pieces. Don't think that was necessary but that's what made it work.

https://flic.kr/p/AqjWcm

I labeled the harnesses with letters so it's easier to show them to you. A and C comes together as 68224929-AA. You discard C as you don't need it for anything (except maybe spare parts). B is normally the part that is inside your tailgate. I have already installed the camera (part number 56038978-A3) at the end of harness B.

I plugged everything in and I have confirmed rear camera image on my in dash display. Yay! So now all I have to do is strip off the unnecessary wire harness which is for the power lock on the tail gate, fashion a mount for the outside of my camper, duplicating the height and angle of the existing camera, hide all the ugly wires in a conduit of some sort, and it will be beer time!

I know this is a bit old but hopefully you are still around :-).

I'm still confused a bit.  A and B are inside the tailgate and B connects to the end of A (Opposite the end with the cover).  When you remove the tailgate, don't you unscrew the part with the cover after disconnecting it from C (C I assume wires into the main wiring)?

Now the part I'm confused about.  Does the end of B not connect to the end of C (main truck wiring) so you have to use a new section of A and plug into existing C on the truck (under the bumper)? 

I guess I'm trying to get all the pieces together before pulling the wires.  In a nutshell, if I want to pull the tailgate off (wiring and all and not reuse it), I need a camera, and wiring A and B (if C comes with it, it's not used).

Phew....  Thanks!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#34 jebbs77

jebbs77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:55 AM

In the end, I am very happy with the result.  I can pass the 3D print file to anyone who wants to give this project a try.

I'd really like that file. Anyone get a copy?

-Jebbs

#35 MikeF

MikeF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

In the end, I am very happy with the result.  I can pass the 3D print file to anyone who wants to give this project a try.

If you still have the 3D print file, I'd like a copy, please. Ordered parts to put a camera on our camper.

#36 jebbs77

jebbs77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

If you still have the 3D print file, I'd like a copy, please. Ordered parts to put a camera on our camper.

Mark sent me the files and I also had it 3d printed. Looks great. I'll post photos when it's installed.

If you also need the files I've uploaded them to drop box.

https://www.dropbox....jnVJNJdfya?dl=0

-Jebbs

Edited by jebbs77, 21 February 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#37 MikeF

MikeF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

Mark sent me the files and I also had it 3d printed. Looks great. I'll post photos when it's installed.

If you also need the files I've uploaded them to drop box.

https://www.dropbox....jnVJNJdfya?dl=0

-Jebbs

Would like to see when you're done.

He sent them to me, too. Got all my camera parts and having it printed up this week actually. Then just need to figure out a good placement on my camper and make the harness long enough to fit. Think I'm gonna go with a temp mount using my go pro camera mount with suction cup on the window in the door. It holds on my jeep windshield when running hard 4x4 trails. Should be able to hold on while on the freeway. Once I'm all done, I'll post pics as well.

#38 BowAholic

BowAholic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationarkansas ozarks

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing the installs.  I needed mine mounted on my truck rather than the camper because I have some trouble backing up under the camper once the tailgate/camera are off the truck.  By mounting mine above the license plate I can see to back under the camper and see to back normally with the camper on as well.

#39 jebbs77

jebbs77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

I'm considering doing a magnetic swivel mount on the Arctic fox landing so I can swivel it down at my trailer hitch or up at my trailer/jeep while towing. Although it would be really nice to have it up above the door so I can see everything. Currently I have a cheapie wireless camera on the license plate. It's pretty much only useful to make sure my Jeep didn't fall off. :-D 

-Jebbs

#40 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

Backup camera's for Dodge Ram's, 2013 -2017, plug and play using OEM plug are now available at Camera-Source.com. $199.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Backup, camera, ram, dodge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users