hawk flat bed wiring

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to try and pick up some 6 gauge stranded wire along the way. No one has the wire reducers in stock. But I can leave the wire a bit long and add them later. 

I really appreciate the help. We're leaving in a few hours for Jackson and will stay in Green River UT or Provo (if we are "energetic") tonight.

Steve 

#12 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to try and pick up some 6 gauge stranded wire along the way. No one has the wire reducers in stock. But I can leave the wire a bit long and add them later. 

I really appreciate the help. We're leaving in a few hours for Jackson and will stay in Green River UT or Provo (if we are "energetic") tonight.

Steve 

You could leave a few inches long and add later. If you can not find them I would do the following. Push a couple of inches of 10 gauge into the 6 gauge, solder all together and cover with heat shrink tube. Done neatly this might look better than a reducer.

Edit: to clarify cut two inches of 10 gauge and push about 1/2 inch into the 6 gauge. Solder this 1/2 inch area. and cover this area with heat shrink tubing.  

Edited by billharr, 18 October 2015 - 07:13 PM.

#13 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hey guys,

So Sioux and I dragged our tired butts into Denny's FWC shop here in Jackson yesterday afternoon at 4:30 and he put me to work right away. Since the Hawk is going to be mounted "permanently" on the flat bed we decided to hard wire the 6 gauge right to the camper wire. This will avoid all the connector drama! And yes, Bill, we're going to solder and heat shrink it.

We're thinking about running about both wires of the duplex 10 gauge that comes with the camper back for the ground. Or is this overkill? Thoughts? (I'm meeting him at 7:00 AM to get started. The man is a slave driver!)

Steve

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

Someday you'll want to do some maintenance and I just hope you remember its hard wired. I've made that mistake myself  :(

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:50 AM

I'd use the same gauge for both power and ground. It is likely that one of the 10 ga. wires is red. Using it as a ground wire will be confusing in the future.

Leave a little slack in the wires in some area where a connector can be added later. You will eventually want or need one. I used an Anderson Power Pole for our connector. Can get those in a range of ampacities with contacts for various wire gauges within each size.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:31 AM

I'd use the same gauge for both power and ground. It is likely that one of the 10 ga. wires is red. Using it as a ground wire will be confusing in the future.

Leave a little slack in the wires in some area where a connector can be added later. You will eventually want or need one. I used an Anderson Power Pole for our connector. Can get those in a range of ampacities with contacts for various wire gauges within each size.

Great advice, I have the Anderson connector for +/- 12 volt and a round plug for back up lights (have a relay that turns on rear lights) and clearance lights 

#17 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:26 AM

Hey Steve,

Congrats on the new rig - it a great looking combo with your truck.  So much room in the flatbed Hawk, thanks for the tour.   Did you and Denny wrap it up on Tuesday?  I assume your still out camping -  we look forward to hearing about your shake down trip. Molly and I hope to meet up with you again.

Cheers!

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#18 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:13 PM

Hey Steve,

Congrats on the new rig - it a great looking combo with your truck.  So much room in the flatbed Hawk, thanks for the tour.   Did you and Denny wrap it up on Tuesday?  I assume your still out camping -  we look forward to hearing about your shake down trip. Molly and I hope to meet up with you again.

Cheers!

Yep. we got 'er done Tuesday. Just got back to Durango last night. Everything performed great including your trolling plug! Sorry I couldn't spend more time with you folks but as you saw Denny and I were working like slaves!

Steve

PS Will post photos IF I ever figger out how to do it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawk, flat bed, wiring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users