• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:16 PM

I have had my 2011 Eagle on my 2001 extended cab Tacoma with Firestone air bags (great) and and extra leaf on the suspension. It is a 2.7 liter 4 cylinder. It's done well by me though I wish at times I had a few more squirrels under the hood going up hill. The 2001 had it's troubles. I am the poster boy for frame exchange having had 3 put in over a year and a half.... they could not get it to be level... I gave up and accepted the last one as good as they could get it. I love this truck despite. I have had other corrosion issues with the gas tank and differential (did I mention I live in New England?). It has otherwise been bullet proof. Oh yeah I did have to replace front and rear chrome bumpers to pass inspection as they were rotted out too. I do my own work as sweat equity.  I know though my days are numbered. I only have 150,000 on the dial but I am thinking that the radiator will go and perhaps the clutch next. I like how it handles, seems more like a sneaker than a boot. I have gotten through some incredibly difficult terrain with the Taco and just like the size. I don't want more truck than I need. I used to live overseas and really like the diesel Hilux but if I wait for that I'll be dead and gone. I hope to get the next truck too see me out... that said I want to really like it. 

So I have been starting my search for the next beast to carry my home around. I have been researching the positive statements and trying to read between the lines of all the glossy bells and whistles. I am not impressed by shiny hubcaps if it won't get me through the mud. 

I have come to you all to help in throwing it all up in the air and seeing what people think by experience ... that is ..I wish I had done otherwise thoughts. 

I have, due to the size of the truck limited my search to just two to start. And due to some of the spec's I am reading about torque and RPM I am considering my first automatic (!). This is a great article on the new V6 Tacoma engine 2016, stating at the end about the clutch concerns with a big load.

http://www.exploring...omas-new-engine

I am also impressed with the specs on the new Colorado V6. It too has a lot to offer but as I haven't owned a GM since I was 17 (an old Buick La Sabre... wow V8 and 17!... gas 29¢/gal!) I haven't a clue on the value longterm as I am the Tacoma. 

So I beseech those of great knowledge and wisdom to tell me your ideas. I want to carry my Eagle to the ends of the earth and not get stuck unless by my own stupidity. I attach a shot of my current set up for the sake of nostalgia and faithfulness.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4353.jpeg

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:16 AM

The smaller Tacomas were great and the biggest problem I have with the newer ones is the increase in size (and dropping the ability to open the rear wing windows on the extended cab). Otherwise, my gen 2 Tacoma is great. Good power, automatic tranny is good, comfort level is good for me (rides like a truck - duh!). I had an extra leaf installed (TSB program) and Firestone bags. The truck is a stock TRD Off Road with towing package. With the camper on, I could count on 14 - 16 mpg unless doing mountain climbing or fighting a BIG head wind. Got down to 12 (uphill with head wind into Flagstaff) and up to 19 (downhill with slight tailwind). I am very satisfied with my present 2006 Tacoma. I do not load heavy or travel at more than 65 - 70mph.

The new Colorado is a good looking truck and about the same size as the Tacoma. I think it is worth a close look, but I would like to see how it does for a year or two before thinking about a purchase. I wouldn't have the same doubts about the 'new' Tacoma as it is built on a platform with history in its favor.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#3 Texan76

Texan76

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:49 AM

I would take a hard look at the Colorado. There is a reason it is the Motor Trend truck of the year. It exceeds and outperforms the Tacoma in almost every aspect. With the new diesel option coming out, it will tow over 7000 lbs and get over 30 mpg. Plus, the new Colorado has a way better payload capacity to carry the camper. If you look up articles online that reviews the Colorado vs the Tacoma, you will see how the Colorado is the clear winner.

In the past, Tacoma was the small truck leader, but with the new Colorado, this is no longer the case. The Tacoma may be a reliable vehicle, but Chevy has proven reliability as well. Though the Colorado is new for North America, it has been sold for several years in many other countries and is proven. Plus, from being a lifelong Silverado owner, I can attest to the legendary Chevy toughness.

Look up those articles, go drive one, and make an informed decision. Don't just go blindly buy a Tacoma like most people do without research just for the sake of "it's a Tacoma, so it has to be good."

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

Good thoughts. I too suffer from a bias as I really like and so lean toward the Tacoma. It does appear to be that Tacomas were getting by on their deserved reputation of a very good motor and in doing so I think weren't in a hurry to change anything. My 01 gets 22 mpg on average w/o the camper and incredibly 18-19 mpg with the camper. (people say it's the east coast gas formula?).

Regret is a terrible waste of time and I want to be sure when I make the leap. I will wait t\for the snow to fall (flurries yesterday!) and test drive both in nasty weather. I agree that the Colorado looks great on comparison charts. I would also love a duramax diesel.... though not sure if the 2.5 or the 2.8 is the right one. The only diesel I am familiar with is in my tractor. I am starting this search early and will have this year to investigate. I had some hopes that Jeep would start making a truck with a small diesel but the on line discussion of that has gotten into fairy tales and pure speculation.

Thanks again for your detailed advice... I am listening and hope to learn as much as I can. 

Henry David Thoreau

#5 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

I understand your dilemma, as a longtime Toyota owner. There can be no doubt that the company has coasted for some time on its rock-solid reputation for reliability. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but lately that coasting has come to a nearly complete stop, while other companies motor on past, at least in terms of technology and features.

The 2016 Tacoma is nothing but a refresh of the previous version. The open-channel frame under the bed is still there (I did a piece on that here), as are rear drum brakes (ranted on here). The port/direct-injected engine is theoretically state of the art, yet its torque peak is absurdly high for a truck, and the new Colorado bests it in horsepower and equals it in fuel economy, according to a comparison in the current Car and Driver (which the Colorado won). The Colorado has a fully boxed chassis and four-wheel disc brakes—not to mention the availability of that 30mpg turbodiesel.

That leaves the question of reliability, and it is a big question. You won't care about rear disc brakes and a boxed frame if the truck is at the dealer for warranty repair every month—or indeed if it leaves you stranded somewhere. American vehicle reliability has advanced hugely in the past couple of decades—almost entirely due to competition from the Japanese—but whether the Colorado can match the Tacoma in that area is a question that will not be answered for several years.

I would definitely recommend an automatic transmission if you decide on a new Tacoma (or a Colorado for that matter). The traditional reasons for choosing a manual are rapidly disappearing with the advent of hill-descent control and multi-speed automatics. An automatic will help to attenuate the effects of that 4600rpm torque peak.

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

I am beginning to crack. I was also leaning toward the diesel but I have heard bad news that the extended cab 4WD Colorado will not have the diesel option, only the double cab. That would bum me out. I sincerely hope that that is not true. However... if "forced" to go with the V6 I still think it would be okay. As stated above, it's the dependablity issue. If the Multinational parts assembled into the Colorado end up being a quality control issue that could be a fiasco. It is all going to boil down to taking the test drives on all models and then just going on that and a prayer. The article links were great especially as I am reading from people that know FWC in the boonies and not just a pretty truck on the highway. I have gotten myself into some nasty predicaments and I like as much "support" as I can get. I do tend at times to overload the truck for the conditions. I guess we will see!

Henry David Thoreau

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

Not to go off track on this topic.... but 

After reading I clicked on the website link for Overland and the homepage photo was of Torres de Pine in Southern Chile. In 1979 I was stationed in Paraguay and took a few months to travel into the wilds. I spent a month in Southern Chile hiking climbing through the glaciers. It was a very wild place at the time. No roads that I can remember. I sure wish I was back there with the FWC.  A shot included.

Attached Thumbnails

• sc000a251111.jpg

Henry David Thoreau

#8 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

In 1979 I was stationed in Paraguay and took a few months to travel into the wilds. I spent a month in Southern Chile hiking climbing through the glaciers. It was a very wild place at the time.

Nice! And a great photo.

The color of those lakes has to be seen in person to be believed.

#9 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:32 AM

The new Nissan Frontier is due out pretty soon. Not sure when their diesel cummins engine will go along with it, but I think they are great options. I owned a 2012 nissan frontier pro-4x and it was a fantastic truck. I found it 6k less then the same tacoma but I felt it was over all the better truck. They hold their value so well, one of the few trucks in my mind that should be purchased new. Good luck on the truck hunt!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

I'll add to the list of test drives. That was not on my radar. Funny how different areas of the country favor different vehicles. Mts be some psychology research project there. 

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users