• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

I took advantage of the long 4th of July weekend to explore an area near the western Wyoming and Eastern Idaho border. I had 3 1/2 days to check out the Greys River area, which runs south to north, from Kemmerer, WY to Alpine, WY through the Bridger-Teton Nat'l Forest. I have been wanting to visit the area for awhile now but had to wait for the snow to melt.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

I spent Monday the 2nd, heading north, following the Greys River. This area is due south of Yellowstone and the Tetons, but the beauty of the area does not stop at the Teton County line. The flowers were in full bloom and although I don't practice macro or flora type photography, I couldn't help but take several pics of the yellows, reds, blues, purples, pinks and other colors of flowers that emerged from the landscape. They were everywhere!

For a holiday weekend, the traffic was very low and primitive campsites were available at the river's edge for several miles. I found myself driving between the Salt River Range and the Wyoming Range, with numerous peaks above 11K feet. While the Tetons and the Wind River Mountains get most of the notoriety, the Salt River Mtns are more than worthy of the trip. Several spur trails leave the main road and one can only imagine the hidden treasures these various trails lead to.

After stopping and photographing as many mountain peaks and flowers as I can stand (lots of bees when you're shooting flowers!) I head into the small town of Alpine for lunch and to determine my return route home. Over a basket of fish and fries I consult the Gazetteer and find a way that will allow me to drive about half way across Wyoming, back home to Lander, all on a 4wd trail.

With a route in mind, I return to the Grey's River, heading south to McDougal Rd, which will lead me east towards Lander. This trail was nearly deserted due to the late run off and poor fishing. After climbing to nearly 10K ft in elevation I found an amazing campsite overlooking a marshy creek area on one side and Lander Mounatin on the other. I spent the last hour of daylight watching the water below for animals but only spotted a couple of does. The sunset was outstanding and I tried to capture it on film but I have to believe even a professional photographer would have been overwhelmed by the scope and colors that night. Just amazing!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:48 PM

The morning of July 4th started slowly in camp. I futzed around downloading pics and tried to decide if it was worth the clean up to make myself a fancy holiday morning breakfast of California Cracklin' - a mix of scrambled eggs, Cheez-Its and Bacon crumbles. I opted for the big breakfast and following KP, I continued east and south among the mountain tops and flowers.

The mountains started to fade into the rearview and I was soon rolling in the brown prarie of SW Wyoming, to the town of Big Piney. I crossed the highway back into the dirt and turned slightly north towards the smaller town of Boulder. More brown rolling hills and praries till I reached Boulder, with the Wind River Mountains approaching on the horizon. All I had to do was make it to the other side of the Wind Rivers and I would be home.

From Boulder I made my way out to the Big Sandy Rec Area, then to South Pass. This is a kind of personal playground for me as there are miles of trails near Big Sandy. Lots of sandy tracks for your Parnelli Jones fantasies and some mild technical trails that lead into the Wind River Mountains. I make good time through here along a familiar trail when I see two tire tracks leaving the road on a dangerous curve. I stopped to look and there is a late model GMC truck about 40 yards down the hill and it is decimated. There is no one in the vehicle and so I snap a few shots and move on.

The last part of Big Sandy leads to South Pass and the highway so I jump on the pavement for about 6 miles and pick up the northern end of a loop trail, through the Wind Rivers, that will lead me into Lander, only about 6 miles from the house. It's much more crowded up here than on Greys River as many of the Lander locals have come up here to get out of town and the heat. I don't dally up here as I spend a lot of time on this trail anyway. Made it home by 5PM and in plenty of time for the fireworks. I had driven 241 miles since leaving camp and only 14 miles had been on the pavement, not too shabby.

I must say I truly enjoyed celebrating my freedom on Independence Day!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:02 AM

Wow KC those pics are great! I'm going to have to get out for a Wyoming trip ASAP!

#5 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:54 AM

Awesome pics. I gotta get out of CA and do some exploring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users