• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:56 AM

I know most on this forum will have a modern GPS, maps, etc and know how to use them. Still I thought I'd share this as it has led me to pretty much leave my GPS in the glove box, well, mainly because the suction cup keeps bailing off the windshield. Still, here goes.

Get an iPad, even a 1st gen version, available on eBay for about $30, or an iPhone 3gs or later, available for about the same, so just get the pad for the larger screen.

Next download an app called Topo Maps, it's $4.99. Then download all the USGS quadrangles that you think you might need, they're free. This eliminates the need for a cell connection as the map data is stored on your device. You don't need a cell plan.

Maps turn out to be very compressible so they don't take up much storage space on your pad/phone and the device will show you your position on the map.

I keep my beater iPad in the truck all the time with all the maps I usually use downloaded and it's a great boon to finding a place. You can also drop a pin on a lat/long spot in advance of a trip and the device will connect to your home wifi to download the maps.

It doesn't have back track and some of the other features of a modern GPS that I never use as all I really want is a map and to know where I am. And, of course, you're relying on USGS quadrangles that aren't always as up to date as other apps like google, etc. But it works when google maps doesn't, i.e. without a cell signal,,,,,

Edited by Shadyapex, 18 November 2015 - 04:57 AM.

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#2 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:13 AM

One of my geology school buddies from the 1970s has used the iPad/$4.99 unlimited USGS topo map downloads for about 3 years now.  It's Da Bomb.  Still would not have is as my sole navigation method, but it's great to have on board when you want that 1": 2,000' detail.  Only gripe is the USGS base maps can be fairly out-of-date in terms of roads/trails, but that's an obvious limitation using the hardcopy versions, too. 

Foy

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Just a note on iPads. If you have a wifi only iPad, you'll need to get an external GPS receiver. I use the Dual Bluetooth model.

Thinking I would only use wifi, I tried to save $100 on the tablet, then ended up spending it on the Dual.

I am haunted by waters

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

I have been looking for a GPS receiver and have been told the Dual is a good one... but there seems to be so many models or at least the price at Amazon is all over the place. Looking for a basic model. Any suggestions? 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

I bought the Dual XGPS 150 A, from a local avionics company. It was $99 a couple years ago, but should be less now. The aviation community seems to like it, and it has worked well for me.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

I know most on this forum will have a modern GPS, maps, etc and know how to use them. Still I thought I'd share this as it has led me to pretty much leave my GPS in the glove box, well, mainly because the suction cup keeps bailing off the windshield. Still, here goes.

Get an iPad, even a 1st gen version, available on eBay for about $30, or an iPhone 3gs or later, available for about the same, so just get the pad for the larger screen.

Next download an app called Topo Maps, it's $4.99. Then download all the USGS quadrangles that you think you might need, they're free. This eliminates the need for a cell connection as the map data is stored on your device. You don't need a cell plan.

Maps turn out to be very compressible so they don't take up much storage space on your pad/phone and the device will show you your position on the map.

I keep my beater iPad in the truck all the time with all the maps I usually use downloaded and it's a great boon to finding a place. You can also drop a pin on a lat/long spot in advance of a trip and the device will connect to your home wifi to download the maps.

It doesn't have back track and some of the other features of a modern GPS that I never use as all I really want is a map and to know where I am. And, of course, you're relying on USGS quadrangles that aren't always as up to date as other apps like google, etc. But it works when google maps doesn't, i.e. without a cell signal,,,,,

If a windshield mount is the problem there are several good dash or vent mounts that hold devices securely. The choice depends on your vehicle, device and preference. I use one from bayougoatmounts specific to the Ram truck. 

Topo maps are a foundation for backcountry travel. I find them most useful for close-in navigation--a few miles at most--and for identifying landmarks, historic places and terrain. For the big view, scalable maps with road categories are best. Current land ownership and travel restrictions (common on public lands) are important, too. Sometimes an old map with historic trails and structures is needed. Even with all that I sometimes have to ask a local source about how to get somewhere, and they want to put their finger on a paper map. 

Years ago I tried using a laptop with an external bluetooth GPS receiver but it was just too much trouble to drive while trying to manage the power, connections and apps. I found that a device built for navigation to be more practical, especially the ease of overlaying maps and of creating waypoints and tracks. The iPad has some great apps, though, so I typically have one along for planning, reading and quickly processing photos. Aerial photos available on Google and elsewhere can be very helpful, too. 

Whatever works for you. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

As an alternative - we use a google nexus 10 android pad with the $9.99 Backcountry Navigator app. The pad has built in gps antenna that works better than the antenna in our garmin handheld. It acquires satellites while on the Lady's lap in the truck seat with the camper cabover above. There are many types of maps available for download and you can move through various map scales to broaden your view. Of course we use the USGS 7.5 as our smallest scale (1:24000). There are things I love about the app and other things I find frustrating.

Gaia GPS is another app getting some press. I have not checked it out, yet.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:40 AM

It's fun to hear what other folks use for navigation, there are so many options out there and I'm not surprised to hear that others know and use the Topo Maps app. My standard involves 4 staples; memory, if I'm going somewhere I remember as I'd rather look out the window than at a screen; paper, I still love a paper map as no zoom feature is anywhere near as good as the brain's ability to interpret both detail and overall composition at the same time; Topo Maps on the pad as it both confirms memory and shows me what I've forgotten or don't know,not to mention where I actually am; GPS, mainly used when solo navigating a new city so I don't have to look at a device other than the one on the dash that's also barking out turn by turn directions. Now I wish that some one would invent the Adobe Lightroom of trip planning software for the computer so you could easily plot a trip and easily upload it to ANY device. I've been using Garmin Basecamp recently but I find it kind of clunky and don't actually upload routes very often, but if it were a really great program I probably would do it more, especially for backpacking. Any suggestions on that score?

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

I don't know about easy, but a friend uses google Earth to plot the route, outputs a kmz (kml?) file which he then converts to a Garmin format.

Part of the joy for me is the route finding, so while I've messed around with trying to plot the route I'd rather do it real time and at 1:1. We carry Benchmark atlas' for the states that we frequent. We also have a small courier bag filled with reference books for the region of each trip.

We use an XP netbook running the Delorme software. It has Overland Navigator loaded as well, but I am not impressed with the software, the mapping, or the support. Haven't used it in years, which is sad as it wasn't inexpensive. The netbook sits in a RAM mount with an external GPS antenna hidden under the dash cover and has a dedicated power supply. When the dust intrusion thru the keyboard finally kills the netbook we'll move to something keyboard-less like an ipad.

Something that I've wondered about, here in KA there is now a law not allowing any movie display screen to be within view of the driver. I don't recall the exact wording, but the jist that I got of it was that technically any display capable of showing a movie would fall under this law. I think that the problem here is obvious. While our netbook could display a movie, it can't hold it - would need an external dvd drive. Which I have never taken into the field anyway. Hopefully that is enough to keep us out of the clutches of the Nanny State.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

ski, I use the same set up but with a Samsung tablet.  It works well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users