• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:06 AM

My favorite GPS map app is PDF Maps by Avenza. I used an iPad mini 2 with 128gb hard drive so lots of room for storage as the maos do not compress. There is a whole world of maps out there in their store such as Nat Geo's Trails Illustrated, USFS maps, BLM maps, USGS topo maps plus specialty ones. There is a cool feature for planning and/or noting wear you have been for future trips. You can drop a pin or placemark, add a photo and description. I use it for photography, rock hounding, ghost towns and other locations.

I have used You Need A Map plus Scenic Maps West which are similar. It feels like you can see yourself driving through the canyons. I need to probably use these more often as they do show place names of some out of the way places.

Happy trails.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#22 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:09 AM

Oh, forgot to add that I searched BLM site on the web and found a ton of free maps of Utah for download. Some are referenced meaning GPS and others aren't but work fine for planning.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#23 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:40 AM

+2 for Avenza.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#24 nobueno

nobueno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

But it works when google maps doesn't, i.e. without a cell signal,,,,,

just so you know, you can download areas in google maps for offline use. the gps will locate you on an offline google map with no cell signal. 

another +1 for pdf maps too. best place to get the MVUM, in my opinion. it'll give you gps coordinates on any map, record your gps coordinates on the map, let you measure distances easily, or load that view directly in google maps. it's my go to for route planning w/ the camper. 

#25 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:34 AM

just so you know, you can download areas in google maps for offline use. the gps will locate you on an offline google map with no cell signal. 

another +1 for pdf maps too. best place to get the MVUM, in my opinion. it'll give you gps coordinates on any map, record your gps coordinates on the map, let you measure distances easily, or load that view directly in google maps. it's my go to for route planning w/ the camper. 

OK, now I'm really glad I started this post. I had no idea you could do this. I will be experimenting!

Just tried it, yet another tool in the toolbox. Thanks,,,,,,

Edited by Shadyapex, 03 December 2015 - 01:42 AM.

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#26 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:03 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Microsoft Streets & Trips.  Yes, I know it is no longer being updated; however, I have enjoyed the ability to really plan pavement based trips so that I get all the best scenic/twisty roads and avoid Interstate madness.  From what I've seen in this thread, it seems to me that Earthmate/Topo 10 is the closest equivalent in terms of being able to plan routes.  Would you agree?  

Vic (4WC wannabee)

#27 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:28 PM

I have used You Need A Map plus Scenic Maps West which are similar. It feels like you can see yourself driving through the canyons. I need to probably use these more often as they do show place names of some out of the way places.

Happy trails.

I haven't sprung for the Scenic Maps West (The pay version of You Need a map) yet. Haven't needed to really.  There are various views you can use and I typically use the plan view screen.  I like that I don't have download any maps or have to make sure I get the maps I think I might need.  It's a big app but all of the maps are already there. I also like that when the app is open, it will track you even when the screen is off to save battery power. 

FWIW - In the coast range of Oregon, there are tons of logging roads.  I have paper maps of the areas I hunt but it's nice to be able to know exactly where I am and be able to get "somewhere" or know exactly which roads will get me where I want to go in real time.  I've always had a love affair with maps and still use paper maps but really like the efficiency of the GPS and tablet.        

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#28 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:40 AM

Riverrunner: we used pdf maps throughout the Coast Range of Oregon as well as the areas north and south of 138 east of Roseburg and Cottage Grove looking for waterfalls. Just using the GPS and National Forest Ranger District Maps I downloaded ($5 each) saved us many backtracking miles. We were often in dense forests down one lane BLM and/or USFS roads and it tracked well. I have an iPad mini 2 and it worked really slick. Highly recommended. Also, as previously mentioned, MVUMs are free downloads and I believe are updated every year. I do not like being restricted but it helps to know if you are on a legal road or not. 

#29 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:08 AM

Wow. Thanks all. So many options. Was just beginning to explore " maps on the iPad".
Have always been happy and successful with Delorme and or Benchmark map books( have them for all the western states) and the requisite Blm or national forest map.

#30 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:25 PM

allanb: you can either download many of the western Benchmark maps on PDF Maps (Avenza) or as a standalone app from iTunes (Oregon, California and New Mexico). I believe Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, etc. and a few others are available through PDF Maps. Just one of the far west maps was omitted but I don't remember which. We take both paper and iPad maps and a compass and my husband's great sense of direction. It has been my go to app for traveling. My only issue is that you can't save them to a hard drive. But, you can redownload from the Avenza/iTunes store for free. I have folders for each state and folders within the states for national forests, national parks, etc. Some maps are in several states like the Columbia Gorge is in both Washington and Oregon folders as I can't remember which one so put it in both. Good thing my iPad has 128gb hard drive. They are helpful for navigating and planning. Another great map to get from iTunes store as a stand alone map is the HEMA United States map. This gives you an overview of the entire US for long range planning and navigating. HEMA is an Australian mapping company that, according to another forum, is noted for detail and accuracy.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users