#1 newtofwc

newtofwc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationChico

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

Please excuse me my search produced no results on this topic.

I am now leaning towards a shell model Grandby without the propane.  I wanted to know if there is a compartment that is designed for carrying and operating a small 2000 w generator; if not is there a location that would be conducive to fabricating one? 

Advocate—formerly Newtofwc

Edited by Advocate, 28 December 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

I carry mine in an Aluminess deluxe box mounted to an Aluminess rear bumper. Not an inexpensive solution, though,

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

I carry my Yamaha 2000 watt genny in the backseat of our Ram Crew cab. Hanging stuff off the back bumper can really affect handling. (In my humble opinion.)

#4 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

My first iteration of the interior of my ATC Bobcat shell was an all electric camper, both 12 VDC and 110 VAC. No propane.

I used to carry my Honda i2000 on the front floor of the camper. I wanted the weight as far forward between the axles as possible. The Honda i2000, like many modern portable generators, have an ability to completely close the gas cap vent so that no gas fumes exit the gas tank. Pulled it out for use when camped.

If you decide to mount on the exterior for storage and use, there are some neat solutions to protect the generator (both from the elements and theft) and eliminate vibration, by hanging the base of the generator by rubber straps. You can probably find the video's on the internet, possibly on YouTube. It's been too long since I looked at them to remember exactly where they are located.

I have remodeled the interior of my ATC Bobcat shell to eliminate the 110 VAC and now have a propane tank, a propane flush mount glass top double burner stove, and a low amperage, 1.8 amps per hour, propane furnace. I'm nor going back to the 110 VAC, love the interior the way it is now. 

#5 newtofwc

newtofwc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationChico

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

I thank you all.  

@alley-kat  I wouldn't be second guessing the propane business if it came equipped with the ubiquitous twenty pound'r.  I anticipate needing many refills.  Walmart being located pretty much every where I travel, I would think it would be easy to switch out a 20 for a refill much easier with them, than finding a propane refill directly.  Hence, my thought to go electric.  

#6 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

I carry my Yamaha 2000 watt genny in the backseat of our Ram Crew cab. Hanging stuff off the back bumper can really affect handling. (In my humble opinion.)

No difference in handling with the spare and box on the bumper that I can tell, but I have added heavier springs all around and an extra leaf in the rear.  Having been in a rollover accident with a different vehicle and an Engle fridge I'd not keep anything that heavy inside again, but that's just personal preference.

(the Engle in question was mounted in the back of my Defender, but the mounts broke somewhere in the process of turning over and over.  :huh:  Fortunately it was too big to fit over or between the seats and land on my head.)

Edited by Stalking Light, 19 November 2015 - 05:31 PM.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

Newto, it has been my experience that we don't use nearly as much propane as I thought we would.   Our two 10 lb tanks last quite a while.    If I recall correctly, our first long trip didn't go through one bottle in 25 days on the road.   If you're always in very cold weather, that might not be the case for you.   We've never had an issue finding a place to fill any of our RV tanks.  When we do have shore power, we often use a small ceramic heater, and that cuts down on propane use as well.

An alternative to consider.   If you would feel more comfortable with a 20 lb bottle, I believe that ATC uses them.   Like FWC, they are a well respected builder.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:15 PM

I believe ATC uses a unique HORIZONTAL propane tank, at least that's what I needed to purchase from Amazon after I installed the sheet metal compartment and other hardware that I purchased from Marty & Jeff at ATC when I did my second interior build. Maybe they use a vertical or a horizontal in different models, you could call them to find out.

The tank cost quite a bit more than a standard vertical propane tank, however, I agree that it lasts a very long time and is a standard fill operation in the vertical position that any propane filling station can accomplish.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 19 November 2015 - 06:16 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: generator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users