#31 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:39 PM

“I mounted the Wave 3 catalytic heater in the same place the original Hydra-Flame furnace was located in my 8' NCO, on the lower right hand wall just inside the rear door.”

I mounted my Wave 3 in the same location in my 8’ NCO  Try to be careful when getting clothes from the closet that nothing falls onto the heater. I keep the vent window open above the bed for oxygen, and leakage around the doors provides good circulation. Almost always keep on low setting. Works great. Use both CO2 and fire detectors. 

Also hung a clothes line using paracord between the front and rear upper hydraulic jack bolts on the right side over the closet/cooler area.

I’m looking for an electric refrigerator which is taller than the Engle SR70F-U1. Would like more capacity without doing major surgery to the cabinetry, although the sloping panel behind the cooler is negotiable. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DCFC13D4-3BFC-4665-AE49-EEAF97B794D3.jpeg

#32 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:32 PM

Keith:

Thanks for the suggestion about taking clothes out of the closet, but I have none in there. I keep my clothes in soft suitcases at the very front of my bed in the Alaskan. I run the 10 gauge cable from the solar panels through the old vent on the rear end for the removed furnace, which remains open to the outdoors and provides plenty of incoming air. Similar to you, I crack open the roof vent when running the catalytic heater.

I looked into buying a taller compressor refrigerator, but the angled back of the cabinet would have pushed them out further into the hallway, so I determined my Engel SB 70F was the tallest I could install that would mount flush to the cabinet and not stick out into the hallway. The trick is finding a taller but not-as-deep compressor refrigerator, and nothing manufactured 5 years ago fit that profile, but perhaps that has changed as of today. Best wishes on your search.  

Like your taste in old Dodge trucks. My first generation 1992 W250 CTD and 1947 WDX Power Wagon are a matched number of years older than your Cummins and M37. But I only tow a 1944 1/4-ton jeep behind my Dodge with the Alaskan and stay in the Alaskan outside of Nathrop, CO when jeeping along the Collegiate Range.     

Are you planning on attending the Mountain West Overland Expo at Loveland, CO from August 28-30 this year?  Looks like a fun event.

#33 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:47 AM

I figure I could remove the sloped back of the cabinet and square it off to accommodate a taller/deeper refrigerator. 

I deleted the porch light, and ran my 8g solar cables in there. Then hung an LED light off the roof rack (see pict attached) which is much brighter than I expected (probably visible from space.) Capped off the old heater vent opening and plumbed in a QD to use an external bbq tank if I want, along with a port for cables to the DC/DC charger which allows my solar panels to also charge my truck batteries.

Coincidently, I used to own a ‘47 WDX too, and now have a ‘91 W250 CTD that I removed the body from and am installing ‘55 Power Wagon sheet metal on. 

Yes, I plan to attend the Overland Expo in Ft Collins at the end of August, and hope to have my Alaskan there too. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2BFED53F-2194-4DDA-BD6E-812DE50813F3.jpeg
  • 463FA4CF-59A0-423C-BF8F-916BFACEF374.jpeg

#34 Rdy2Roam

Rdy2Roam

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:33 PM

like the interior lights you installed, might have to upgrade and try them out. will look much nicer then the plastic ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users