30 replies to this topic

#31 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:07 PM

We installed a front Curt receiver and use the Curt mount @Durango1 referenced the rare times when we want two spares (we can fit a full size in the original under mount). That said, if we’re loaded to the gills with both spares, 4 wheel chains, and extra water like we’d do for a winter trip into DVNP, it does put us over the GVWR. With Helwigs it isn’t squatty at all and it handles well. We are always well below the axle ratings, far below the tire ratings and it’s balanced. Still I struggle with whether or not the second spare is worth the 150 lbs. the whole contraption costs. 

In final version we have the winch with plate for fore or aft use...Our Hellwig rear bar really does help....went with pizza cutter sized Cooper AT3 E rated tires...firestone air bags...recently full Li system; along with second Zamp panel [now a 160 & 170w]...I built a thin roof rack for 'permanent' stuff, still with 1.5" clearance beneath Hawk overhang..added insulation on outside of Hawk on overhang and vertical walls above bed rail...all good!  I dropped the high-lift carry and added one set of chains.

GVWR....when has anyone documented a vehicle failure or accident caused by exceeding the GVWR when carrying a FWC?  Lots of talk but I have yet to see actual documentation; forget the smoke concerning insurance and LEO issues, more chatter...sure add any weight and stopping distance increases, but keep the CG low and centered and drive on!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users