#11 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:58 AM

Another alternative:

http://www.busdepot....and-add-a-rooms

Don't have one but have seen them in action.  Seemed applicable to me.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#12 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:02 AM

We have a 10 foot fiama F45 curb side on our rig. It seemed like the right thing at the time : )

Probably in a couple years... just cuz...

We will replace the fiama with something simpler and more robust. I'm thinking of having a local shop fabricate a simple ~10 foot x 1" or 2" aluminum square frame (two of the sections one above another) with same location. Then bungee lashing simple ~10 x 10 tarp and using our kelty tent poles.

Just a ponder at this point. I'm looking for something that can better weather the PNW afternoon river-winds (gusty at times) and really not have to bother worrying with the setup. While the fiama can easily move about and deflect most situations up to about ~25mph, I hate to push our luck.

Thom

Edited by Accrete, 30 December 2015 - 02:06 AM.

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#13 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:30 PM

As I was reading this thread this morning the UPS man pulled up and delivered my new screen-house for this year's Florida trip.  I thought I'd see if it sets up as easily as it's supposed to and then take a few photos....

This one is known as a Clam Quick-Set Traveler.  The Clam name seems odd for a tent-maker but Clam Outdoors makes ice-fishing equipment (their 800 number is 1-800-ICE-FISH).  But they also make a few screen-shelters, a six-sided 12 x 12 Escape model and the four-sided 6 x 6 Traveler.

ClamBesideHawk1.jpg   ClamBesideHawk2.jpg

It's a screen shelter but I show it with one of the three optional wind/sun/rain side-walls attached and set it up beside my Hawk for an idea of scale.

I didn't have any problems with setup.  I just unfolded out a wall enough to see its hub in the middle and then pulled out on the hub to make a wall.  Make three walls, then go inside and push up on the roof hub.  Instructions say it's easier to pop the roof if someone holds down on the shelter but it popped into place for me with just a bit of a shove straight up.   After the roof's up, I can move the shelter around by carrying the whole shelter suspended from the roof's hub but have to do it on tip-toes to get the shelter off the ground.

The optional side walls hook on corner loops and there are enough velcro patches to make them seem secure-- at least on this nice, windless day.  You can buy the walls in a kit of two or a kit of three. There isn't a wall for the zippered side.

The shelter went back into its bag pretty easily.  I'll add a few bungies to get the tent material more controlled and that should make it a tad easier. The folded-up walls go in a separate bag and it doesn't fit in with the shelter.

ClamInTruck.jpg

Also: for anyone considering one of these, note there's an important difference between the green one and the brown one.  The optional side-walls of the green one don't fit under a rain flap like they do on the brown one.  Also, the brown wall-panels have a window, the green ones don't.

Also- the 12' x 12' six-sided shelter is tempting but it's carry-bag is six feet long. What do you do with that?  Thule box on the roof?   Weight of the 6x6 is 20 pounds and the 12x12 is 34 pounds.  I ordered it from Amazon.

Here's the setup video:

I think this could work out well for the way I travel.  I move from place to place daily and travel alone or with one other person.  I'll probably only pull it out when I think the evening's going to be buggy or I want to sit out sipping my Old Crow with some protection from the wind.

-OC

edited 1/1/16- minor changes to clarify meaning

Edited by Old Crow, 01 January 2016 - 01:46 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#14 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:45 AM

Looks like a nice setup. I have it bookmarked.

We are researching something to tie into our current setup. Top on the list right now is an OzTent RV3.

And what you shared could do the trick also with side panels IMO for about a third of the cost.

Thom

#15 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

We are researching something to tie into our current setup. Top on the list right now is an OzTent RV3.

And what you shared could do the trick also with side panels IMO for about a third of the cost.

Thom- Just thought I'd re-iterate the part about the entry-side not being designed for a panel in case you didn't notice that.  I told a buddy I'd like to be able to close it off if I wanted to use it as an extra-luxurious shower tent.  He said, "Well, you said you can pick the whole thing up from the roof hub so just turn it toward the camper, dummy!"

Also- here's another pic, this one with four chairs to give a sense of internal size.

Clam4Chairs.jpg

The panel's off in this one.  If I were more of a photographer I'd have noticed the nearest corner isn't even close to vertical.

-OC

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#16 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:48 PM

Looks like the Traveler will be part of our spring camping purchase. At first my wife said no, saying mosquitos will get in when we go in like they got into the truck and camper when we were at Galveston last year. They were bad, but you can spray. I sat her down to watch the video and the ease of setting up, unlike the tailgating awning. She notice the logo and asked if that was the same as the Clam Table which we love. That closed the deal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:54 PM

Very interesting shelter.One of the simplest I have seen.

Easy to use and light in weight.

At present I just carry a 8'x8' pop up. Would only use it for rainy weather.

It came in handy out on Prince of Wales island,Alaska.Very rainy there.

We usually don't stay in one area long enough to put one up.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#18 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:13 AM

...He said, "Well, you said you can pick the whole thing up from the roof hub so just turn it toward the camper, dummy!",

THX for that tid bit. When watching the video i thought of how easy it would be to butt it up to the slider on the van so we could just duck in and grab clean clothes and such. Might be an alternative.

Thom

Edited by Accrete, 03 January 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#19 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

For those wanting to make something. Years ago I loaned out a Mtn Hardware tent and it didn't come back with the guy tensioners. Repeated calls to MH asking to buy another set got me nowhere. While at the O'Land Expo a couple of years ago I found these and now have way too many. They are very nice pieces of hardware, rival the MH parts easily, though are bigger to accommodate a larger line.

http://www.montanaca...nsion-adjusters

tent-rope-tensioners_1024x1024.jpg?v=133

EDIT: Just had a look at the CLAM video. Good find! I like that a lot. Wife was hesitant until she saw the video. I think there may be one in our future.

Edited by ntsqd, 03 January 2016 - 08:09 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#20 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:02 AM

I use an REI Alcove. It doesn't have sides to it. I think it is an option. Mine has withstood the winds of Death Valley on several occasions and even rain. I'd like to have a ShadyBoy awning in the future though. It would be nice to have mounts for the ShadyBoy on both sides so I could switch it from one to the other.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users