• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 kpihera

kpihera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1984 Four Wheel Fleet locally.  The camper has been garage kept and looks to be in really good condition.  The guy is asking 850 for the camper and 100 for the 2 jacks.  First is this a good deal?  It looks to me to be a good deal.  Next will this camper fit in my 2003 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD?  I think the dimensions will fit but am wondering if it will overload the suspension?  Any help will be great!

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

It sounds like a good deal. Measure your truck and the camper to determine the fit, don't forget cab height. There is a fit guide on the FWC website, but it may not be accurate for a 1984. Take a good look at the lift panels to make sure they're in good shape.

Make sure your wheel wells are wide enough. If the cab is too tall, you can always built a small platform to raise the camper.

My guess is you will need to beef the suspension.

I am haunted by waters

#3 kpihera

kpihera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:38 PM

Thanks,  I'm going to go look at it today... Does it make sense that it only has 2 jacks?

#4 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:40 PM

NO KP

The 1980's model 'Fleet' was built for full size trucks - First Gen Tundra and larger. 

The mid-size Tacoma we have today did not exist when that camper was built.

Call Four wheel 800-242-1442 ask for service and they can give you the info you are seeking.

===============================================================================================

That said, a few years ago I saw a '80's Fleet mounted on a first Gen (1998-2005)Tacoma. Owner had to make major modifications to camper get it to fit.

If your handy and looking for a project check the following before buying.

Measurements

Measure the width on the bottom portion of the camper - the part that fits between the wheel wells. And the bed rail height. and I believe the length was over 78 inches. If so. don't lower your tailgate (to support the back of camper) as doing so will block access to the hole that the tool to lower your spare tire fits into.

I guess the empty camper weight at 1,0000 pounds. You will need spring upgrade and airbags.  We originally had our 2012 Eagle shell installed on a 1999 Tacoma Xcab. It weighs 1000 pounds dry. We upgraded the rear leaf springs to a custom 5 leaf set ($650).

I haven't had good luck with ad-a-springs, so wouldn't advise that option.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

Jim, thanks for correcting my post. I didn't realize the Fleet changed that much over the years.

I am haunted by waters

#6 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:47 PM

KP, Back in the old days for light campers they used "tripod with a winch, cable and angle iron" positioned at the balance point on each side to remove camper. Very shaky setup. 

Best setup is 4 Ricoh hydralic jacks that are positioned at each corner that are used today.

Jim

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

Wandering,  before I found the money to buy the shell I too considered buying an '80's Fleet. Wouldn't fit.

Think the section between the wheel wells has to be narrowed.....to big a project for me.

My advice if your on a budget buy the shell model either FWC or ATC and build it out as you have the money. I know they are expensive, However if the owner takes care of it they can recover 50-60% of their investment because they are in high demand.

Jim

#8 kpihera

kpihera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

I found an old brocure from the 80's for Four Wheel Campers.  In the brocure they list the Fleet as a model made to fit the "New" import trucks and the picture shows the fleet in a 4x4 Toyota pickup

#9 kpihera

kpihera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

http://www.wanderthe...ds/FWC70s_c.jpg

#10 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

Well then you should be ok...

Hmmm - I wonder if the one I saw was an old Hawk modified to fit a Tacoma???

I would still measure everything to make sure it will fit. The old ones are easier to purchase than to resell.

In any case good luck to you. Happy camping

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 05 December 2015 - 04:42 PM.

Jim

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fleet, Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users