#22 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

I ended up getting this:
http://www.kershawkn...ails.php?id=168

You know, Kershaw makes great knives and this looked right. Don't buy it! Its a nice piece- solid, sharp blade, but too small. Great for kindling, but not good for anything larger and I like a more versatile ax since I'm pretty good with it.

I ordered a Fiskars. We'll see.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#23 Mushhuskies

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:07 PM

I carry a hatchet that was given to us as a wedding present with our names and anniv date engraved!:o So, I'm kinda partial to that but I talked and split wood with a city firefighter in California that had a great Mini-maul, hatchet sized. It was a great tool and I have not been able to find one to add to my arsenal. I used to carry a Pulaski, a dedicated fire fighting and all around handy tool but jettisoned it in favor of less weight/size. I also carry a Sandvik handsaw.

So, oh wise ones, what type of shovel do you all carry??? The one I carry now might be good for snow but not much else. I think I will replace with a folddown type found in an Army-Navy store.
Mushhuskies 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2003 Granby Shell

#24 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

I carry a hatchet that was given to us as a wedding present with our names and anniv date engraved!:o So, I'm kinda partial to that but I talked and split wood with a city firefighter in California that had a great Mini-maul, hatchet sized. It was a great tool and I have not been able to find one to add to my arsenal. I used to carry a Pulaski, a dedicated fire fighting and all around handy tool but jettisoned it in favor of less weight/size. I also carry a Sandvik handsaw.

So, oh wise ones, what type of shovel do you all carry??? The one I carry now might be good for snow but not much else. I think I will replace with a folddown type found in an Army-Navy store.

I use an old fold down type I inherited from my Dad's old gear, might have had a name at one time but I can't tell now. Still pretty solid.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#25 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

I picked one up years ago in the hardware store. I guess its a garden shovel- looks like a standard shovel, but is about 27" end to end, so its longer than the standard folding army/navy/camp shovel by 4 or 5". And the steel shovel itself is smaller than the standard shovel, but still big enough to do some work. It also has a handle at the end rather than just the shaft. That makes gripping it really sturdy. Weighs a little more than a folder, but not even close to full size shovel. I wouldn't carry anything smaller, but if I get around to it, I might replace the shaft with one 30-36"" and it would be perfect.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#26 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

I used to carry a cheap entrenching tool, but it was so week it was almost worthless, so then I carried a regular old shovel (spade). About 5 years ago I found a German army entrenching tool at an Army/Navy surplus store. It is solidly built and has both a pick and a shovel head. It's served me well ever since.

#27 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:33 AM

Mushhuskies:

Here's a link to a great 3 lb Mini-Maul. I bought one a while back and really like it.

http://216.71.104.41/mini_maul.html

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#28 Mushhuskies

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Deltarat,

I'll check it out....pete
Mushhuskies 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2003 Granby Shell

#29 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:15 PM

Dont overlook the Woodsmans Pal. I use it and a cheapo Chinese hatchet. Both are sharp and work well.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#30 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

I started Carrying this one when my wife had to borrow an axe from someone camping next to us and teased me about being a fireman without an axe. This one works surprisingly well and has a small saw that fits in the handle. Easy to stow in the camper because of its compact size.
http://www.cabelas.c...rset=ISO-8859-1

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users