• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

I'm trying my best to minimize my camping equipment. Please don't tell me about another thing I need. LOL

A Pickaroon is a great back saver... :ph34r:  :D  :lol:

#42 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

I stumbled on to this 10 year old thread, and thought it would be interesting to see if anything has changed over the years.  I carry an Estwing hatchet or an Estwing cruiser axe, and a Northwoods pack saw.

After several inferior ax purchases I finally bought an Estwing like this and really like it. Small enough to use easily but large enough to get the job done..

https://www.amazon.c...XPRBPTNQRH22VJ6

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#43 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

+1 on the Estwing!

#44 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:03 AM

+2 on the Estwing, I've had mine for 20+ years.

2009 Single cab Silverado Z71 & 2005 Hawk
2018 Crew cab Silverado 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

2020 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

#45 DextMorg

DextMorg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:03 AM

I'd suggest checking out council tools offerings. The multipurpose is a good axe.

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want

#46 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

I carry an Estwing hatchet and one of those saws with a kinda "D" shape to it but more pointed at the business end and with a rubber handle on the "taller" end. Most importantly, are they SHARP! I can sharpen the hatchet, but depending on how much use the saw gets, I just replace the 24" (?) blade on it when I think it is getting dull.

When camping I doubt you will be felling any standing trees unless it is allowed to drop the dead ones where you are headed for. Otherwise you are going to be finding ones that are down for one reason or another and you won't need to cut through a 2' in diameter log just to get a little firewood for the evening campfire.

Some parks do NOT want you transporting wood from one place to another that might have beetles or other infestations on them which is perfectly cool with me. I just stop along the way near my destination and off the highway, not on private land, you can usually find some downed wood that meets your criteria.....no larger diameter than maybe 6" and enough of it to cut for the nights you are going to be staying there.

So for me....a full size axe or a 3/4 size axe is overkill anyway and if I had to choose between one of them vs the saw and hatchet; the latter would win in a heartbeat. The saw for cutting to length and the hatchet to split some small stuff for kindling and medium sized wood to get the fire going.

Don't for get your SHOVEL....to put out any fire caused by an ember! I have a WWII US folding shovel that is good for many uses around camp for that and it can be used to clear the area around your fire ring from combustibles. Just remember to return the site to how you found it when you leave unless you are in a developed campsite!

If you are headed for the wet country...chop some kindling at home (8" x 1/2") and dip in paraffin to help get it going fast and cheat a little more with some newspaper kept in a zip-lock bag!

Edited by PackRat, 14 November 2019 - 07:21 PM.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#47 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:58 AM

Slight thread drift but adding to PackRat’s comment about kindling my wife likes to collect the dryer lint and stuffs it into the left over TP rolls... it does start a fire!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#48 Gregfosterid

Gregfosterid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:37 AM

I use  a hatchet Schrade SCAXE2G. Much better off with a Husqvarna at a better price as well. It is hatchet with an ergonomic handle whose firm grip eliminates the likelihood of a hand slip during use.The blade is razor sharp out of the box and does not require additional sharpening until much later when it starts to get dull. The head is coated in titanium for extra durability and wear and corrosion resistance.

#49 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

How do you dress the edge when in the field?  I carry one of these: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B000B8FW0Y/ in the CTD and need to get two more for the short axes in other vehicles.

Recently had a friend's hatchet and anothers axe both need more than the stone could do. I've used one of these: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B001R1QCN0/ in the past to rehabilitate an obliterated edge, but didn't have one with me. 3 of them now in my cart.....

Thom

Where does that road go?

#50 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:02 PM

Sharpal dual grit diamond shapener. I also use it to dress my knives and machete. For a finishing edge I use the back of an old cowhide belt that you can loop around a branch and use it as a strop. The 220 grit works to touch up the edge as you're working but for severely dulled edges a flat file is a good starting point.

https://www.amazon.c...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users