• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 theoregontrails

theoregontrails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:25 PM

+1 for Estwing.  Best bang-for-your-buck hatchet you can buy, and will last a lifetime, or two.  

and +1 for Council Tools!  Quality stuff all made in the USA.

#62 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:17 PM

There are any number of excellent axes and hatchets out there. I think it is a carpenters hatchet, long blade on one side, hammer on the other, made by Plumb. Hardened steel edge, holds a edge very well. Total length is 18", so handle is short enough to use with one hand, but long enough to use with two hands as well. For heavy work, I have a Pulaski fireman's tool. Since it has a pick blade on the other side, I gets used for digging or getting unstuck. I also carry two shovels. This way your friend is also digging instead of leaning against the truck drinking beer watching you dig alone. 

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#63 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:05 AM

<Snip> I gets used for digging or getting unstuck. I also carry two shovels. This way your friend is also digging instead of leaning against the truck drinking beer watching you dig alone. 

Now that makes great sense!  I may do the same.

I am haunted by waters

#64 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:42 AM

There are any number of excellent axes and hatchets out there. I think it is a carpenters hatchet, long blade on one side, hammer on the other, made by Plumb. Hardened steel edge, holds a edge very well. Total length is 18", so handle is short enough to use with one hand, but long enough to use with two hands as well. For heavy work, I have a Pulaski fireman's tool. Since it has a pick blade on the other side, I gets used for digging or getting unstuck. I also carry two shovels. This way your friend is also digging instead of leaning against the truck drinking beer watching you dig alone. 

i kind of like being that guy, drinking the beer, and pointing out that i recommended taking a different route !!!

Oregon

#65 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 08 February 2021 - 08:03 AM

I don’t have much use for a hatchet while camping. Chopping wood isn’t high on my list of things to do when I’m in the woods - I get enough of that feeding the wood burning stove at my house. Also, I don’t ever want to be the guy who’s campfire got away from him. Still, to each his own.

While backwoods traveling, the need to cut wood almost always arises from a fallen tree or large branch blocking my way. For this I carry a pruning saw with an 18” or so blade. Fiskars or Corona work well. They cut both ways, and unlike a bow saw, you’re not limited to cutting only the width from the blade to the handle. Fast, way less work than chopping, and they store compact.

As to shovels, I carry a long handled spade.  Short handled folding shovels are unnecessary extra work, especially if you find yourself digging deep snow or lots of dirt to get unstuck. If I have to reach under my truck chassis to dig, I sure don’t want to be groveling on my knees to reach.

#66 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:35 AM

I carry the following edged tools with me:

Each tool has a specific purpose and they have all worked well.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users