• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 theoregontrails

theoregontrails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:25 PM

+1 for Estwing.  Best bang-for-your-buck hatchet you can buy, and will last a lifetime, or two.  

and +1 for Council Tools!  Quality stuff all made in the USA.

#62 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:17 PM

There are any number of excellent axes and hatchets out there. I think it is a carpenters hatchet, long blade on one side, hammer on the other, made by Plumb. Hardened steel edge, holds a edge very well. Total length is 18", so handle is short enough to use with one hand, but long enough to use with two hands as well. For heavy work, I have a Pulaski fireman's tool. Since it has a pick blade on the other side, I gets used for digging or getting unstuck. I also carry two shovels. This way your friend is also digging instead of leaning against the truck drinking beer watching you dig alone. 

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now an empty shell that rests on the bed rails. Much better. 

#63 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 7,385 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:05 AM

<Snip> I gets used for digging or getting unstuck. I also carry two shovels. This way your friend is also digging instead of leaning against the truck drinking beer watching you dig alone. 

Now that makes great sense!  I may do the same.

Real Dogs Have Beards - Fear the Beard

Tu Ne Cede Malis

#64 goinoregon

goinoregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:42 AM

There are any number of excellent axes and hatchets out there. I think it is a carpenters hatchet, long blade on one side, hammer on the other, made by Plumb. Hardened steel edge, holds a edge very well. Total length is 18", so handle is short enough to use with one hand, but long enough to use with two hands as well. For heavy work, I have a Pulaski fireman's tool. Since it has a pick blade on the other side, I gets used for digging or getting unstuck. I also carry two shovels. This way your friend is also digging instead of leaning against the truck drinking beer watching you dig alone. 

i kind of like being that guy, drinking the beer, and pointing out that i recommended taking a different route !!!

Oregon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users