76 replies to this topic

#1 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

CA_12161518552893-M.jpg

Hello all,

Reporting a sad incident. Yesterday, my truck camper rolled back on a SanFrancisco incline without me in it, and went over a curb into a park and was stopped by a tree 20 feet downhill. The truck bed is twisted bad, axle whacked out, rear leaf spring broken. Miraculously for a San Francisco street, no one was hurt, no property damage other than a young tree that valiantly stopped the roll.  The FWC camper itself seems fine except for a busted door. All 4 hooks gave away. (more on that later). 

The truck has been recovered and safely towed away. Insurance has been notified, but no one has called me back yet. 

Here is the situations:

1. The camper is still on the truck securely now - i reattached the tie down hooks. However, nothing can be done to the truck without taking the camper off. Whether the truck gets totaled or goes in for repair, the camper needs to come off. And therein lies the rub -can  any average auto body shop  get the camper off and store it while they repair the truck ?(san francisco space is premium).  Thoughts?
  2. I am thinking of having the truck+camper towed to FWC in Woodland (about 90 miles from here), and have them take off the camper for repair and storage while the fate of the truck is decided. 
  3. I do not have camper jacks - and do not want to buy them right now for this occasion. Even if i did, we don’t have space around the house to store the camper. 
  4. I do not have a spare truck or the intention to buy one to put the camper in. If the truck is totaled, most likely, we will repair the little damage on the camper and sell it off.

Somethings that I don’t know enough about:

1. Both the truck and camper have Progressive insurance with collision - but I do not know whether the same adjuster can decide about the truck and the camper. Thoughts?
  2. Has anyone been in a situation like this? 

CA_12161518463245-M.jpg

CA_12161518444964-M.jpg

Edited by srileo, 17 December 2015 - 07:03 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

EEEEK, not fun at all!   Sorry that happened to you.   

Maybe a local FWC owner could loan you a set of jacks to get the camper off the truck if you leave it in SF.   My best guess is to go with your instinct to have it all towed to Woodland, and if possible have a local shop there do the truck repair if it's not totaled.

Best of luck!!!

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#3 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Wow, so sorry. I like the idea of borrowing jacks since most of us don't travel with them on. But I live in Sonora, too far away to offer. But if that works you are welcome to them. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#4 northshorehenry

northshorehenry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

I'm in Canada but would have loaded you the jacks in a heart beat. I'm sure someone local would help you with that. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:12 PM

Ouch, that sucks. I had a truck with camper (not an FWC) that rolled away on me. Sucked big time. You'd be welcome to borrow my jacks if you're coming through Sacramento. I think Woodland may be your best option.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 cerve137

cerve137

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:09 PM

I wouldn't trust the camper with a local body shop as they will just not care that much about it. Spendy as it may be, I think getting it to woodland would be the best bet as they will actually show the camper some love. Sorry to hear about it though and best of luck with it.

#7 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

Ouch, that sucks. I had a truck with camper (not an FWC) that rolled away on me. Sucked big time. You'd be welcome to borrow my jacks if you're coming through Sacramento. I think Woodland may be your best option.

Craig, PM sent. 

#8 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

We're really sorry to hear about your Titey, srileo.  I agree with others that the Woodland option seems like a good avenue to pursue.  Best of luck getting everything resolved to your satisfaction.

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

Wow, glad no one was hurt and no other property damage. I can understand all of your questions and concerns about how all this will play out. Sure hope it goes much easier then you might imagine. Best of luck and please keep us informed on the outcome.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:55 AM

Bummer!  The good news is that no one was injured, stuff can be replaced.

I agree that getting it to FWC would be your best option.  If not, renting cable jacks might be an option.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users