Truck rolled back, major damage and lots of questions

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

Ok guys, picking up the thread. Truck and camper are now safely at their repair stations at FWC hq and a collision center. 

The truck damage estimate came in at around $8.5k. I have a detailed breakdown and from what i see, both the rear leaf suspensions are going to be replaced. And the bumper. The air bags I had installed are fine apparently, and holding air. 

So... I am wondering if this is a great time to just get heavier rear leaf spring set? For the Titan, I dont see any complete replacement aftermarket leaf spring packs. The best option seems to be to add this Deaver springset on top of the new stock spring set. 

http://www.prgproduc...af_spring_pack/

However, this deaver spring pack adds to the already tall ride height of the truck, and I dont really want that. 

Can you guys suggest anything else? I could just have the stock spring pack re-installed, and because the airbags survived, it seems like i could just continue on, but right now seems a great opportunity to get a stronger suspension setup while insurance pays for all of it.... 

#22 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,286 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:38 PM

That's great news on the repairs.

Looks like you won't have to go without a truck/camper.

Hope all the repairs are done well.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#23 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:46 PM

Ok guys, picking up the thread. Truck and camper are now safely at their repair stations at FWC hq and a collision center. 

The truck damage estimate came in at around $8.5k. I have a detailed breakdown and from what i see, both the rear leaf suspensions are going to be replaced. And the bumper. The air bags I had installed are fine apparently, and holding air. 

So... I am wondering if this is a great time to just get heavier rear leaf spring set? For the Titan, I dont see any complete replacement aftermarket leaf spring packs. The best option seems to be to add this Deaver springset on top of the new stock spring set. 

http://www.prgproduc...af_spring_pack/

However, this deaver spring pack adds to the already tall ride height of the truck, and I dont really want that. 

Can you guys suggest anything else? I could just have the stock spring pack re-installed, and because the airbags survived, it seems like i could just continue on, but right now seems a great opportunity to get a stronger suspension setup while insurance pays for all of it.... 

If you are considering Deaver, I would suggest giving them a call, talking about your truck and the load you're carrying, and see what they can build for you in a complete replacement leaf pack. I really like the spring set they built for my truck.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#24 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:26 AM

It looks like in the end thing worked out as they should have.  I personally have an insurance broker/agent that I have been dealing with for the past 25+ years and he happily advises me as to what to do when things go wrong.  I never have to deal with the insurance company.  I hope I never end up in your situation, but you have made me think about quite a few things.  I'm glad you have the fortune of being so close to the FWC factory.

BTW I like the look of your truck and camper.  Very nice set-up.  I hope the repairs go well and I'm glad nobody got hurt.

What caused the truck to roll back on it's own?

Edited by Bill D, 10 January 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#25 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

If you are considering Deaver, I would suggest giving them a call, talking about your truck and the load you're carrying, and see what they can build for you in a complete replacement leaf pack. I really like the spring set they built for my truck.

Can you recall a rough $$ amount that you paid for the replacement? I will call them tomorrow. Insurance is going to pay only around $1000 for both the set and the associated hardware. 

If the deavers are a daoable price, the airbags can just be a secondary system i suppose. 

#26 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

Bill,

yes, so far I have been very pleased with Progressive. They seem to have their act together. They call me daily with updates and progress and have been pleasantly professional. Ofcourse, now I have to brace for the hike in the premium. 

It looks like in the end thing worked out as they should have.  I personally have an insurance broker/agent that I have been dealing with for the past 25+ years and he happily advises me as to what to do when things go wrong.  I never have to deal with the insurance company.  I hope I never end up in your situation, but you have made me think about quite a few things.  I'm glad you have the fortune of being so close to the FWC factory.

BTW I like the look of your truck and camper.  Very nice set-up.  I hope the repairs go well and I'm glad nobody got hurt.

#27 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

I still do not know. I think not operator error (me).  I parked it on a perfectly flat spot, got out hastily, but i might have not pushed the gear all the way into Park, it might have stopped at Reverse. However, I definitely pulled the keys out of the ignition and had it in my pocket when the truck rolled back. 

The first thing I want to check when i get the truck back is if i can replicate it. 

shridhar

#28 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:23 AM

Can you recall a rough $$ amount that you paid for the replacement? I will call them tomorrow. Insurance is going to pay only around $1000 for both the set and the associated hardware. 

If the deavers are a daoable price, the airbags can just be a secondary system i suppose. 

Somewhere around $750......................rough memory but I bet pretty close. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#29 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:26 AM

I still do not know. I think not operator error (me).  I parked it on a perfectly flat spot, got out hastily, but i might have not pushed the gear all the way into Park, it might have stopped at Reverse. However, I definitely pulled the keys out of the ignition and had it in my pocket when the truck rolled back. 

The first thing I want to check when i get the truck back is if i can replicate it. 

shridhar

That's pretty crazy.  Try not to lose too much hair scratching your head :-)

It will be interesting to know if you can replicate it, once you get the truck back.

I live in flat Alberta so I never use my park brake with an automatic, but I'll keep your situation in mind next time I park on in an area where the vehicle could roll back.

Edited by Bill D, 11 January 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#30 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

Living in SF we saw rolling ghost cars lots. They were always out of towners who didnt use parking brakes. The best was a brand new 911 that was getting cosy with my Subaru. Lucky owner no damage and I use the parking brake and curb tires ;-). I got a ticket for not curbing once. They do write those. Glad your ok and getting the rig put back together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users