#71 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:13 AM

Enjoy the "new truck/camper".

Glad things worked out and you didn't have much stress.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#72 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:29 AM

So I picked up the truck and camper this weekend. The truck seemed like the day i bought it. The stiff Deaver suspension was a great match once the camper was on. FWC put on the camper. The door was replaced, the trimlines around the roof were replaced. The scratches were minor. First thing on my list now is to get different turnbuckles. I definitely dont want to rely on the stock turnbuckles ever again. 

IMAG0766-M.jpg

IMAG0767-M.jpg

Thank you all for the advise and concern. I hope to take her out camping this weekend. Looking forward to enjoying my toys more now that I brought them back from the dead. 

#73 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:50 AM

I'm happy that your vehicle and camper were fixed. I'm sure it is a huge relief to have them back together.

I have used these turnbuckles myself and quite like them. They are more work to put on and I did replace the pin with something heavier so that they wouldn't fall off.

Here's a link of what I've used:

316 Stainless Steel Marine 3/8'' x 6'' Turnbuckle JAW JAW Pulley Swivel Hoist

https://www.amazon.c...d_BZs1wbEH4ZW0T

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#74 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

I have safety chains at all four corners and the stock FWC turnbuckles.  $10 of chain cut to fit with bolt cutters and $35 of quick links.

#75 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

I don't recommend stainless turnbuckles because of the metal's low strength and relatively high elasticity (meaning that they stretch easily and at low load).

1500, even 2000 lbs tensile WLL sounds like a lot until you factor in any angle that might be involved with the direction of the actual loading. A simple way to see this is to consider a 3-4-5 triangle. If the turnbuckle is aligned with the '3' side and the resultant angle of the pull happens to align with the '5' side then what ever the strain is can be multiplied by 5/3. That takes a 1200 lbs loading and makes it a 2000 lbs load to the turnbuckle. Make the direction of the loading an even greater angle and the loading on the turnbuckle increases accordingly.

Jaw - Jaw is a good plan, but I'd suggest going with a higher load WLL (say 3000lbs. +) which will likely put you into a galvanized turnbuckle. Given what you're bolting to there's no gain in going with extreme over-kill, just don't under rate the job that you're assigning to the turnbuckle.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#76 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

srileo, congrats on getting this behind you, you deserve some fun time now using your rig. Have fun and travel safe! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#77 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM

Glad this chapter is closed. Heres to a new chapter this weekend!

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users