• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Idahomauledriver

Idahomauledriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:51 PM

Hi I am a newbie and this is my first post.

I recently purchased a Hawk that will be installed on my 2005 3/4 ton Dodge diesel right after the first of the year. In anticipation of the install I called my local mechanic shop and spec'ed out an airbag system. I specifically asked for  Firestone after doing some research which included this forum. I dropped the truck off on Monday and picked it up today and after looking at the box I realized they had installed an Air Lift system.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand ? I looked at a few reviews on the internet and most purchasers rate it 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5. So it is getting good ratings.

I would appreciate any input anyone might have as to the Air Lift Brand before I push the nuclear button at the mechanics.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:57 PM

I had initially had Air Lift bags on my Tacoma but the first install they used the wrong kit and their attempts to fix it with the correct kit also failed so they ended up putting Firestone bags on, which have worked fine since. 

If you asked for Firestone and they installed Air Lift I would complain, especially if they charged you for Firestone which are a bit more expensive, I think.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

The Air Lift bags I had on an older Tacoma worked fine, but they didn't do well on the 2006 Tacoma. I replaced them with Firestones and have had no problems since. I agree that, if you specified Firestone, that is what should be on there.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:46 PM

I have the Air Lift bags on my Tundra and have been very happy with them.  Have about 18 months on them with multiple desert trips and highway miles as well, no issues.  I don't have the on board compressor system installed, ran the lines back next to the license plate with a valve on either side.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#5 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

I have Firestone lift on a f-350, never had a problem, however , NEVER let the air drop below 10lbs or your asking for trouble. 

I don't know the the cost difference, but what does it matter , you just paid a lot of money for your camper , don't skimp now.

I would take it back on principle ALONE ! 

As far as an onboard compressor, just more stuff to fail and mess with .... KISS.

I had separate schrader valves installed and I have a portable 12vdc compressor that works just dandy...

Happy Trails...

#6 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

We have an '06 Ram 2500 with a fully loaded ATC Cougar. This is the largest ATC camper. I have never needed a suspension modification.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

We had Air Lift air bags on our old Tundra years back, and didn't have good luck with them.

I have also heard the same from many other customers.

The Firestone Ride-Rite seems to have a good reputation in the overland community.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

I too was wondering of the need on a 3/4t truck. Ours is a '96 CTD with a 6.5' Phoenix camper in an 8' bed and I run the under-riding over-load leaves flipped upside down so there's no way they ever can make load bearing contact.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:22 AM

Time to nuke em' B) 

#10 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

Air lift does have a air bag now with a bump stop inside maybe thats what you have ..  i have ride rite on my Power Wagon, no problems yet..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Air Bags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users