• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:46 PM

Mickey, I have Firestone airbags on F250 with onboard controller. I have my saved lower fill at 5 lbs... so I need to raise to minimum of 10? I will raise today!

#12 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

Air lift does have a air bag now with a bump stop inside maybe thats what you have ..  i have ride rite on my Power Wagon, no problems yet..

I know this is off topic, but are the ride rites the only suspension mods to your PW.

A Power Wagon is my fantasy truck but you hear a lot about limited payload and slide in camper no-no.

BTW I run ride rites on my 2000 Chevy 1500 with an ATC Panther shell. Handles like a dream.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#13 Idahomauledriver

Idahomauledriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

An Update.....First of all thank you for all the replies this is a great forum. Well after much study on the Internet, a call to the Factory and discussions with the mechanic/installer I have decided to try and see if the Air Lift system will work for the following reasons:

It is already installed on my truck so the truck has been drilled in various places and I doubt that the Firestone system will use all the same holes since the compressor is located in a different location.

The Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 system has a Lifetime Limited Warranty and the Controller II has a 2 year Warranty. The installer has agreed to troubleshoot any problems at his expense and install a Firestone system without charge if the Air Lift system fails.

The factory rep was very knowledgable and familiar with the weather conditions here in North Central Idaho and stated that the system had been tested in Michigan winters and performed well.

When I Googled comparisons of the two systems there were several independent reviews that highlighted the differences those primarily being better warranty on the Air Lift.....a plus but more difficult to install .....a minus but which is now a done deal, but other than those both systems were comparable according to the independent reviewers.

Finally.... A feeling in my gut that the Air Lift company is trying very hard to be a top notch product, they added brass fittings in a number of areas and upgraded the compressor recently and then added lifetime warranties to the bags ( if I read it right ).

So the journey begins..... I will add updates if anything interesting happens.....Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#14 northshorehenry

northshorehenry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

Driver, I would get that "promise to replace" in writing from the mechanic. Should it need replacing two years from now, buddy may have a "faulty memory" and deny everything.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#15 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

you will be fine. to Tuff GUY 62,  Other than the airbags i have gone to 18in.wheels with E rated nitto tires. My hawk is just under 1500lbs.wet   the truck handles fine.  

#16 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:49 AM

Mickey, I have Firestone airbags on F250 with onboard controller. I have my saved lower fill at 5 lbs... so I need to raise to minimum of 10? I will raise today!

Sorry not to get back to you till now, air bags under inflated and then bottomed out when you go off a curb or offroad and all the weight goes to that air bag can cause rupture. If you keep enough air in the bag where it won't bottom out you'll be fine. 

When I'm traveling I run mine at 30lbs when I'm home I let them be till get ready for a trip then air back up if they are low , which does happen over months.

I hope I didn't ramble too bad .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Air Bags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users