Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:44 PM

So, what's your conclusion?

#22 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

My main concern was maintaining the battery when I go backpacking for 3 or 4 days.   In the summer I run a 12 computer fan in the 3-way fridge compartment to help cool the refrigerator which I leave running on the low propane setting.  

If you can’t tell I am a retired engineer and the project was a lot of fun.  The Victron MPPT charger and control are good deal at $233 from Amazon compared to the TriMetric battery monitor for $160 plus a current shunt for $40 and a minimum $100 for a MPPT controller.  The Victron control is easy to install, it monitors PV panel, battery and load, and stage controls charging the battery.  It came with a 9 ft digital cable that links the MPPT controller with the control. I used a 2 1/8 in door knob hole saw for the control which fits nicely into the camper panel next to the battery/water tank monitor and thermostat.  

Getting into the details of how solar panels work was also fun.  The initial solar readings confirm my model.   For only 3 lbs a 50 W semi-flexible panel will passively maintain the battery.  Why add more expense and weight with adjustable panels or hassle with a portable unit, when you can just mount it on the roof and forget about it.  I may add another 50 W panel in series some day for more power or low light conditions but for now I’ll see how this setup works out.    

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#23 Gussie

Gussie

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationDunsmuir, California, USA

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

Hey carld, after three months of use, how do you like your set up? Have you needed, or decided, to add a second 50W panel?
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." (Oscar Wilde)

2016 ATC Bobcat on a 2023 Tacoma Off-Road

#24 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

For what it is worth, I spend anywhere from 2-8 weeks in a row on work related road trips and often park in one spot for well over a week, usually all backcountry. My wife who works remote for a major health care provider comes with me and can work from the road with our +55db cell booster. So I have 200W in two flex panels on the roof that feed the main large AGM battery, 100W removable slide out panel under the cabover and a 50W on the air damn which take care of the 75AH backup battery and my wife's computer. 

I figure 350W is plenty for the needs we have. I turn the 12V fridge on this week, will leave it on 24/7 until sometime in October. I think the lowest I have ever seen either battery is 12.4V.

In the future, I dream of building a camper from the frame up that would have at least 600W and possibly 1KW so I could park an electric car next to the truck and charge it to whatever degree it would. I can't wait for the day this country pulls it's head out of it's rear and dumps burning oil...it's disgusting at this point that we still do it.

Edited by Kodachrome, 05 May 2016 - 09:48 PM.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#25 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

You know why I drive a truck with a V-10?  Because they didn't offer it with a V-12.  :P

#26 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:33 AM

I agree with having all the solar practical.  But at the end of the day, more solar only means you charge faster during the day, and you can't be more than 100% at the end of the day.  Then the drain starts at night and whether we have 200 w or 600 w, we will all be at 70 - 75% in the am, depending on temps.  If the next 3 days are cloudy the batteries will be dead, no matter how much solar we have.

This is the struggle I have had and I've never been clear on the solution without getting a generator which I don't have and don't want.

I have two camper house batteries with 200 w of solar on the roof and 100 w flexible portable which is more than adequate in sunny weather.  But I often run into trouble on longer trips with cloudy weather.

Edited by DonC, 19 July 2016 - 01:58 AM.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#27 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

Good point.

#28 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

I bought two KINGSOLAR 50W (100 W total) Semi Flexible Solar Panel and connected them in series with a Viltron Energy Blue Solar MPPT smart charger controller and their MPPT Control/Monitor.  The total cost was about $400. I made a frame out of 1/8" x 1" aluminum to match the mounting holes of the panels to the roof screws on one side of the roof. I still use the strong arm method of raising the roof.  The panels weigh 2.2 lbs each and the frame is around 2 lbs. 

I just got back from a 13,000 mile to Alaska and 2000 mi in Colorado with no problems. I run the 3-way fridge on the battery, about 8 amps,  while driving and didn't turn it off for stops in the day. The hottest temperatures on the road were in the 90 to 100’s and the refrigerator has worked great (I added a computer fan and switch on the outside heat fins to help during hot weather).  I spend 2 to 3 days wilderness camping with the camper parked referigerator on propane and fan running.  On the road I want to self-sufficient for up to a week and when I get back from backpacking in the wilderness I want really cold beer and be able to start the truck.   

I think the lowest the battery ever got was around 12.4 V.   Here is my list of +’s :

1) 3-way refrigerator will run for weeks on propane.

2) The ATC AEPOC battery isolator allows the solar panels to keep both truck and camper batteries fully charged.

3) Two series connected panels operate in low light overcast or shadows conditions.

4) Simple fixed mounting passivelly collects power you almost forget you have solar.

5) Light weight doesn’t interfere with raising roof. 

In summary, I’m happy so far.  I have had zero electrical problems. One thing I noticed is that with the refrigerator drawing it’s 8 amps and the truck running, the AEPOC battery isolator will click on and off periodically at it’s internal time delay period. This can cause the camper battery to discharge.  The solar in good sun reduces the load from 8 amps between 3 to 5 amps and the clicking goes away.  I think reducing the electrical loss from the truck battery to the camper might also help.  I’ve posted some of these pictures before but here is a recap.

Attached Thumbnails

• solar schematic.jpg
  • IMG_1422.jpg
  • MPPT Control.jpg
  • MPPT controller.jpg
  • IMG_1791.jpg
  • IMG_1793.jpg

#29 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:50 AM

Check out the scratches on my fantastic fan vent cover in the roof picture.  The roof in the Ted Stevens Anchorage airport parking garage  is  a little over 7ft. I cleared the most places but some how got lost trying to find the exit.   The fan cover was about 1.5" short, it just flexed down but didn't  break.  I want to replace it with an opaque cover to get some sleep in the mornings, especially in Alaska.

Edited by carld, 13 August 2016 - 02:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, battery, power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users