• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Janet H

Janet H

• Adminstrators
  • 467 posts
  • LocationEastern WA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:39 PM

Many folks have asked for information about site delays and outages.  We know many are inconvenienced and apologize but some of this is beyond our control.  

Recently the server that houses this site has been slowed down as the result of a DDoS attack and we are still under attack.  A Distributed Denial of Service attack is deliberately malicious and caused when a lot of computers try to access the site at the same time - they place too much demand on the server and it locks up.

The computers are usually virus infected machines in third world countries and they are being controlled remotely by the attacker or his hired service (more often). They are turned into an army of bots. Often the owner of the botified computer may never know it's being used this way.  These attacks are often instigated by a disgruntled individual and we believe this is the case here as well.  

To defend from continuing DDoS attacks we are using a service to block malicious inquiries (from individual, mostly overseas computers) from getting to the web servers. The screen and posting delays are because we have added this extra layer of security, verifying viewing to remove/stop malicious activity. This extra check is especially tough on those with slow connections and some mobile users but it cannot be avoided. Your individual computers and devices are not at risk and the site hasn't actually been hacked - just slowed down.  You may see the browser check screen from time to time as your IP is verified.

An attack of this nature is a crime and we take this very seriously, for this reason we are also not going to disclose much about the details but you can read more about this here: https://en.wikipedia...-service_attack

It's sad when one angry person decides to muck up the works for everyone and we appreciate your understanding as we get work through this.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

Janet, thank you for the information. We appreciate your work on this and the added security. It is too bad that any of us ever have to deal with crime.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

Janet, thank you and the others on the admin team for all the hard work.

I am haunted by waters

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:02 AM

Thought that might be the case when the site was unavailable for a while.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:57 AM

But so good to have it back. I was going through withdrawals for a while. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:28 AM

Thanks Janet.  I noticed today when I couldn't access the site from my Android phone.

I've just recently been monitoring the amount of attempting hacks on our business website.  

Most of the bots seem to come from overseas, but not all of them.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Thank you for keeping on top of any problems.Glad to have the site back.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

Thank you for keeping on top of any problems.Glad to have the site back.

Frank

2X-thanks guys!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 27 January 2016 - 03:45 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#9 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

But so good to have it back. I was going through withdrawals for a while. 

X2!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users