Photo
- - - - -

Could you please talk me into (or out of) buying a new Power Wagon?

power wagon ram 2500

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:43 AM

well i put my two cents in here i have a 2015 PW, About a year now, 2013 hawk 1200ibs. dry  ride rites  daystar cradles   nitto trail mt e rated tires that is it.  i run 25lbs. air on the road and 5ibs. off road.  not a fanboy but this truck will go anywhere i want to go  it just works.   if  you worry about fuel usage, buy a prius..

#12 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

I seriously considered a regular 2500 w/ a hemi before I bought my rig.  I was very impressed with the 6.4 hemi.  And the payload is huge.    

I've always wondered about the PW low payload ratings.  Figured it was a factory lawyer thing given how people were more likely to use the rig.  I'd be curious exactly what suspension components are different between a regular 2500 and a PW and see what the (perceived) weak link is.  If you did a side by side comparison what part(s) changed?

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#13 wolfhound

wolfhound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

snuffy, I've read many of your posts on here as inspiration. Our current home on wheels gets 7mpg on diesel, so I'm not terribly concerned with the mileage. Have you had any issues under articulation with the riderites and the cradles? No pinching I hope.

Vic, that's a great question. I suspect the springs are a big part of the reduced rating since they are both taller and softer than stock 6.4 springs, providing the articulation that makes the Power Wagon special. The PW also comes with D-rated tires, while the standard 2500 comes with E-rated tires. I suspect that is just as liable for the payload reduction as the springs, if not more, knowing that many customers will go on to install airbags to level for heavier loads. I am sure there are some other smaller differences (more weight with winch, lockers, smart bar that counts against payload, etc.), but I reckon those are they two big ones.

#14 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:23 PM

Wolfhound, from what you describe the PW sounds like a good fit. The compliant suspension and high COG are the primary reasons to avoid a slide-in camper. Otherwise it is a great truck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Wander The West mobile app

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: power wagon, ram 2500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users