• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 EWizard

EWizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

I'm the type of person who likes to research things to death usually.

I'll be in the market for a new truck here in the next couple of years and I eventually want to install a Four Wheel Camper on it.

My first thought was that I wanted to get a Tacoma, but I'm hearing now that having a camper shell on the back will be pushing this truck to the load carrying limit.

Obviously diesel would give me more payload capacity, but what else should I be looking at?

I need a truck that is a 4x4, and has 4 doors (2 kids, dogs, etc.).  Also fuel mileage is an issue as well.  M brother-in-law has a 4x4 Tundra that gets ~10mpg when loaded down for camping (no trailer).

Anybody care to entertain the conversation about which truck would fit best?

I'm open to Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota.

#2 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

Easy answer (since there is really only one):  (newest model year) Ford F350, XL(T), Crew Cab, 4x4, gas engine, 4.30 gears and E-locker.  There are other trucks for sale, sure, but there are no other answers to the question of the perfect truck, for any job.  The answer is always, unequivocally, without further debate, the Ford F350, 4x4, gas engine.  The only other question you really need to ask yourself is short bed or long (which is really, will I take it off road or not).  You can get into a discussion about other brands, even other Ford trucks, but at the end of the day, the answer remains, Ford F350, 4x4, gas engine.  So, you may just want the moderator to lock the thread now, so it doesn't get cluttered with other responses.  Hope that helps.

By the way, diesel typically DECREASES your payload.  Diesel engines are traditionally heavier than a gas equivalent and therefore the payload goes down, not up, with a diesel.

Edited to add:  I forgot one or two things.  If by chance, and this is important, you come to decide on another truck, remember the answer (Ford F350).  Therefore, you can be assured you're asking the wrong question.  Best at that point to reevaluate your questioning skills, until you come back to the correct, and only, answer (F350).  That should help clear up any deviation from the straight-line, getting from Point A (what truck) to Point B (F350).

Oh, and you're welcome.

Edited to add:  the above was said tongue-in-cheek and was not meant to offend anyone.

Edited by Ace!, 05 February 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

We have a F-250 longbed and our fully loaded FWC Grandby rides very well.

Edited by longhorn1, 04 February 2016 - 03:48 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

I have a 2013 Chevy 3500 HD standard bed with the Durmax Diesel loaded with a Grandby.  The diesel buys you low end torque and towing power.  Other than fear of getting scrapped through a tight spot or break over angle, it will go anywhere and idle through, up, or down anything.  I average 14.5 to 15 mpg on trips depending on how much off road there is.

There's Chevy guys, Ford guys, and Dodge/RAM guys and none of them will admit the other's trucks are just as good.  Drive them all and buy the one you like best.

#5 EWizard

EWizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

Another question.  My brother-in-law drove the White Rim Trail a while back and he said that his Tundra was almost too big for this particular trail.  That's kind of the reason why I started looking at the smaller trucks (like the Tundra).

I want to get way off the beaten path.

#6 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

I like the GMC Duramax / Allison combo.

Its a proven design that's been around for years as opposed to the others always implementing new tech.

As far as getting off the beaten trail and being limited by size of truck? .... I have a Yamaha TW200 for that.

#7 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

That's kind of the reason why I started looking at the smaller trucks (like the Tundra).

Rethink that.
Tundra 77.2" wide, my Chevy 2500HD 80". I don't think 3" is going make much difference in the greater scheme of things. Length about the same in a crew cab, standard box and Hawk configuration. To balance out Ace's response, consider only a GM product and, more importantly, only in a 2500 or 3500 configuration!
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#8 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

The Ford takes a shot at the Chevys jaw and staggers him, but Chevy regains his composure and pops a couple jabs on Fords nose. Meanwhile Ram is butting heads with the Tundra and they are gonna need some aspirin. There's a Nissan trying to have some Taco for lunch but not having any success..... It's a WWW Truck brawl and we are anxiously awaiting to see who comes out on top......

Whew! :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#9 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

The Ford Super Duty is significantly narrower than the GM/Chevy, which should help considerably getting off the beaten path.  The Super Duty is 79.9" wide.

#10 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:52 PM

Narrower = highway rollover when swerving. broken down Dodges!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:P jk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users