85 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

Eight thousand pound rig and I use the plastic levelers (http://www.campingwo...s-10-pack/56865) with few issues. Biggest problem is getting dirt and rocks wedged in the bottom ones. Mostly it just shakes out. 

Not a real stickler about being level. If I don't roll out of bed its close enough.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:51 PM

rocks

DVNP-Dec-2015-168-copy.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:03 PM

We've used rocks for a long time but got some lego style level blocks for xmas.  I like the legos better since they are easy to adjust to the needed height.  Also, we camp in the snow for skiing and looking for rocks in the snow isn't going to work.  We don't bother with making a nice ramp with the legos.  Just put it in 4L and crawl up onto a big stack of them.

#14 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

I've used the lego blocks for a long time, but have broke a few on uneven ground.  Last year I bought the below listed tri-level ramp which has helped in some of the uneven areas we camped, along with the lego blocks.  I might get another one.  I used wood for many years, but find our current system easier to manage.  Like others said, 4 low helps to crawl up on the blocks with less fuss and damage to the blocks.

http://www.amazon.co..._=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

#15 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

I carry pieces of 2x6 cut on a bias.  I have to replace a few every so often as they are soft and will split ( on the plus side I end with more).  Spending time researching different ideas here, I had Hallmark make an access panel into the space in front of the wheel well on the passenger side where I store them.

I also carry a 6 ton bottle jack with the Bogart extensions so I can lift a corner.

1R4A6744-2.jpg

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#16 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

We use the plastic levelers and have not broken any or had any issues. But we are careful to be sure they are fully supported. If we get within a half bubble of level, we are happy.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#17 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

I too use carry the Lynx Lego blocks. But find that I rarely use them. The general conversation is to turn to the co-pilot and ask if it is close enough to to level, their answer decides whether or not the blocks get used.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Wander The West mobile app
2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#18 elmo_4_vt

elmo_4_vt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:13 PM

Has anyone used something like the ones below, that are plastic oil change ramps?  Seems to give a lot of lift, ~8", and are pretty light and stack-able.

At Amazon

http://www.amazon.co...pf_rd_i=desktop

41c56K7hWJL.jpg

#19 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:22 AM

I'd say that 90% of my campsites require some sort of leveling. From years of  rock and alpine climbing/backpacking I like to have tools/equipment that serve multiple purposes. Still go with a selection of 2x wood scraps of varying lengths/widths. I can use them to get unstuck if the occasion arises, help with unstable jacking locations, combine with rocks to level in severely uneven areas and when they get tired they make a nice addition the campfire.

I've also more recently combined technologies by fine tuning  with my air shocks to get the perfectly level sleeping platform and I hate seeing the olive oil  collecting on the low side of my skillet. Maybe its the carpenter in me.... :huh:

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#20 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:18 AM

I hate seeing the olive oil  collecting on the low side of my skillet

End of the day, that is the most important aspect B)

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users