85 replies to this topic

#21 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:19 AM

Carpenter/climber/photographer . . . All obsessed with the plumb and level. :D :D :D
I don't mind sleeping a few degrees off with my head uphill, but I do hate to cook when all the oil runs to the corner of my Griswold #6 pan. :(

I also vote for multipurpose tools and use scraps of extra thick OSB / plywood in the 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" thickness. I've cut them down a bit to stack up conveniently under the Hawk couch overhang by the door. I've used them to support jacks a few times. One day I had a painting project going on, and managed to put some primer on my blocks. I initially used some scrap 2x stock, but they tended to split, so I upgraded to LVL material.

Edited by Lighthawk, 13 February 2016 - 06:19 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#22 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

Good idea using the engineered wood. I should upgrade also with the next projects scraps.

Cheers-

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#23 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

End of the day, that is the most important aspect B)

Yep, Creggyman and Bad Habit have that right. On those rainy days when you cook inside things need to be level; nothing worse than half raw pancakes and eggs for breakfast :P !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#24 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

. . . All obsessed with the plumb and level. :D :D :D

Me too. Can't help it.  :D  I have the little bubble level indicators for both directions on the camper corner right behind the driver's door. Makes it easy to check. We use the lego blocks and like them. They are light, work really well and store easily. Occasionally I have also used them for a jack platform, awning pole support and a surprising number of other things needing a stable surface.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#25 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:50 PM

Me too. Can't help it.  :D  I have the little bubble level indicators for both directions on the camper corner right behind the driver's door. Makes it easy to check. We use the lego blocks and like them. They are light, work really well and store easily. Occasionally I have also used them for a jack platform, awning pole support and a surprising number of other things needing a stable surface.

That was going to be my next question...does everyone use those bubble levels stuck to the side of their camper?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#26 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:22 PM

Not us, we prefer the little round levels with the circle at top center. Just toss it on the floor, back bumper, etc..

I am haunted by waters

#27 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

x2 on the round bubble. I place it in the bottom of the cup holder and I can see it right from where I need to. Doesn't interfere with drinks at all. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#28 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

We use an unattached "string" level".  "String levels" are short/light, 3", and were designed to go on a grading string and can be found at building supply stores.

#29 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

iPhone
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#30 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

iPhone

Is that an app, or is it native to the phone?

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users