57 replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

I'm sure we'll be seeing lots of articles about the new national monuments but in the meantime, this one is the first I've seen with a zoomable map.  It also shows names of adjacent reserves (as you zoom/pan) which may be helpful in understanding where these are.

-OC

Edited by Old Crow, 12 February 2016 - 06:25 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

Thanks. OC

It's nice to see our government trying/doing to preserve our public lands. For all to use.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 camper357

camper357

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:34 AM

Thanks. OC

It's nice to see our government trying/doing to preserve our public lands. For all to use.

Frank

Hurray, three more places where they will exclude you if you are not enjoying the preferred method of recreation. 

#4 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:15 AM

Hurray, three more places where they will exclude you if you are not enjoying the preferred method of recreation. 

Which will change based on what Facebook tells the pols how many votes they'll get instead of the people that actually use and care about the area,

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

Thanks. OC

Frank

Glad to hear it.  Protecting large tracts of land for now and future generations is the right thing to do.   

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

Glad to hear it.  Protecting large tracts of land for now and future generations is the right thing to do.   

3X-now is  the time to watch what happens next and get  involved with any  future planning for these areas if you care about them.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

Very confusing.  After googling these new monuments, and seeing that what Obama has signed into law, while great on one hand, may actually be far less than the bills that have been previously presented.  What was signed by Obama may limit the use of these lands for the purpose that we all have in mind.  Roads closed preventing further exploring and loss of dispersed camping sites.  I was extremely confused.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:07 AM

Very confusing.  After googling these new monuments, and seeing that what Obama has signed into law, while great on one hand, may actually be far less than the bills that have been previously presented.  What was signed by Obama may limit the use of these lands for the purpose that we all have in mind.  Roads closed preventing further exploring and loss of dispersed camping sites.  I was extremely confused.  jd

Agree with confusing. I have seen areas closed to dispersed camping. NFS then put in campgrounds and charges for what was once free. May come a day when you can backpack or camp with full hook ups, nothing in between.

#9 Moss Grimmick

Moss Grimmick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

Monuments place some restrictions, benefiting conservation, but they typically aren't like Parks leading to fee paying campgrounds and other developments like paved roads.  There will be dispersed camping in an area like this - where I passed through/camped 3 weeks ago with AT Camper.  Roads will very likely not be closed unless for ecological restoration purposes, something I would hope all here would support.  A pop-up camper who likes remote areas to hike and explore should be pleased with this new monument.

#10 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

I see the Amboy Crater area is now included. It was already protected but a much larger swath of land is now outlined. I hope they leave Pisgah Crater alone.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users