13 replies to this topic

#11 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:34 PM

Strange how some think that sooc is true to the art.

+1. Unless you are shooting film pretty much every "straight out of camera" shot has already been manipulated by your in camera firmware. Post processing just gives *you* more control.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#12 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

+1. Unless you are shooting film pretty much every "straight out of camera" shot has already been manipulated by your in camera firmware. Post processing just gives *you* more control.

Not sure that I'd exempt film. I used to choose Agfachrome for fall photos off the Blue Ridge Pkwy because the fall colors were much better than Ektachrome. I used Kodachrome on the Outer Banks in bright sunlight because I thought that was best choice in those conditions. Ektrachrome for bird photos in the woods because I had a chance to get a shot in the lower light.

Each film put its own stamp on the result but which one true?

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#13 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

You're right about different films, I was just trying to explain that most digital cameras do picture processing internally and the concept of sooc as a purist thing with them isn't valid. Even shooting RAW just gives you the option of changing some in camera adjustments after the fact. And even then you don't capture the sounds, smells and mood, etc., which all contribute to 'true'.  ;)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#14 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

I do use the camera's picture processing, "live" and "vivid", to add color which helped raise the issue of picture brightness.  Adding color with "vivid" made pictures look darker relative to totally auto pictures.  Brightening in "live" did not reduce the difference (software bug?) and so the question became "which is the right brightness?".   

This picture has "vivid" added but no brightness added:

gallery_5179_260_3498797.jpg

Edited by iowahiker, 17 February 2016 - 01:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users