• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

I have used Rancho shocks in the past but would like opinions on competing brands.  I read a lot about Bilsteins, but don't know if they are better.

My truck is a Super Duty with my Hawk on it all the time.  It weighs ~9,000 lbs. total.

The Ranchos (9000) have a larger body and larger piston/shaft.  They are adjustable.  The Bilsteins seem to have a very good reputation.

Any reason to pick one over the other?  Are there others to consider.

Edited by Ace!, 15 February 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

I had Bilsteins on both the front & rear of my Ram 2500 for a few years. As long as the camper was on it was great. I remove the camper frequently and the rear was really stiff with the Bilsteins.  I now have Rancho 9000's on the rear which I can adjust when the camper is either on or off.  The best of both worlds :-)  Both are great shocks..

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Fox seems to be dominating the off-road market now.

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

I'll never run another Rancho. The 9000 are over priced for a hydraulic non gas shock. If designed for the application they don't need to be adjustable. Most friends who have run them moved on to something else. I've had Rancho 5000's on several vehicles and don't like them. Way too much compression damping(that's the springs job) and way too little rebound damping(the shocks job).

I've never run Bilsteins. Comments from friends say they are nice on stock vehicles but can get overwhelmed when you upgrade springs.

Old Man Emu is the best non reservoir shock I've ever used. But applications are limited. 

For a budget HD shock Skyjacker Nitrochargers are pretty good. They worked very well on my lifted old school Powerwagon with Skyjacker Softride suspension. Both on and off road. That's what is currently on the "Moon Truck" project.

Edited by Squatch, 15 February 2016 - 08:47 PM.

#5 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

I have OME (Old Man Emu) on my 2014 Tacoma with FWC Fleet and it's great. 

When I was doing my research, it seemed consensus among people who actually go off-road was that Bilsteins were kind of "meh".

Edited by hoyden, 15 February 2016 - 10:23 PM.

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:02 AM

I have Bilsteins on both my desert race chase truck and under the camper truck. Both totally transformed the ride and performance of their respective truck. What is now the chase truck came to me with RS5000's on it. As delivered I knew that I had to do something as it was horrible.

If those who thought "meh" were talking about the OEM Tacoma dampers made by Bilstein, then that wouldn't surprise me. Those are tiny and would hard pressed to do much if/when the truck was driven even moderately hard.

Have a look at any real desert race vehicle. You will never find a Rancho on anything competitive. You will find Fox's, King's, Bilsteins, Sway-A-Way's, and the occasional FOA's. These are all high pressure gas charged mono-tube dampers that use deflective disc valving.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:39 AM

I don't plan to use my truck for desert racing, but crawling over rocks wouldn't be out of the question.  I wouldn't put RS5000s on a truck, but haven't used the 9000s (I did have the 7000s, 3-way back in the day).

For slow speed, or washboard roads, Bilsteins, or meh?

#8 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:54 AM

I take my Taco + Fleet camping off-road often. Nothing too terribly difficult, but the OMEs can handle more than I can do, I"m sure. 

I went OME because I wanted quality, but not too spendy/over-kill. I won't be doing anything too hard-core, but need something very capable if I do find myself in a tight spot.

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#9 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:07 AM

Thanks.  I've always heard good things about OME

#10 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:09 AM

Yeah, they are good quality, but won't break the bank and will give you the support you need. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rancho, Bilstein, Shocks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users