32 replies to this topic

#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

After several of our members had their truck and campers stolen, I decided that I wanted something that would make it very hard to steal.  Most of us probably have $50K - $80K invested in our rigs.  I didn't like the idea that my 2013 F-250 had such a large target painted on it; they say the F-250 is at the top of the list for stolen trucks.

Yesterday I had Ravelco's ignition cut-off installed.  Hidden electrical connections are made in the engine compartment.  There is a plug with 16 pins that you plug in to start the car and you remove the plug when you leave your car.

The cost was $499.95.  Spending $500 for peace of mind when my truck and FWC cost almost $60K was a no brainer.  They have locations all across the country.  I drove 2-1/2 hours to northern Indiana to meet the installer.  The install takes 2-3 hours.

www.ravelco.com

They have a number of videos on the web site.  The company also advertises that they have never had a vehicle stolen that uses their system.

I also plan on purchasing another devise that covers the steering wheel and locks the brake pedal.

jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

We had a Ravelco installed years ago. There's nothing to match it for simplicity (no moving parts) and security. Thieves might break in and take stuff, but unless they have a tow truck you know your vehicle will be there then you return.

#3 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:51 PM

My truck is old school. It has an ECM but no always on fancy electronics to scramble when power is lost. I'll just put a battery switch under the hood. Simple and effective most of the time. I always do that when I install a winch anyway. If the truck is left in a place where I'm concerned I just pull the fuel pump relay from the underhood fuse box and take it with me. 30 seconds to do. No relay=no fuel pump= truck no run!

Edited by Squatch, 23 February 2016 - 08:52 PM.

#4 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:46 PM

After reading Ravelco's website and looking at reviews I am really impressed. That is not a simple kill switch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:58 AM

Scares me carrying something with me. I tend to drop a lot of stuff. Why I have a spare key hidden away.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:58 AM

I like the idea of a steering wheel lock. It is visible and a deterrent which might stop someone from even making the attempt. Could use a kill switch or relay pull as a backup :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#7 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:26 AM

Craig there is actually a couple of blank relay spaces I could plug it into in the fuse box. But if it isn't there they can't use it.

Any deterrent is better than none.

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:04 AM

Scares me carrying something with me. I tend to drop a lot of stuff. Why I have a spare key hidden away.

Your not alone. I have been looking at a Hitch Safe for that very reason.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

Apparently thieves have been freezing locks, with liquid nitrogen and using a hammer to break off the lock. With the club they just cut the steering wheel and remove. Anything we use can slow them down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

Your not alone. I have been looking at a Hitch Safe for that very reason.

Thats a great idea.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users