108 replies to this topic

#1 BILL98388

BILL98388

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:50 PM

All:

Is anyone interested in a viewing gathering of WTW fans for this event?  It is not too early to plan.  One good location would be eastern Oregon, near John Day (good weather nearly guaranteed and wide open spaces), but the eclipse is visible across the USA.

See this National Geographic web site 

http://onward.nation...as-2017-eclipse

or do your own Google search.

Bill

Bill

2014 Grandby on 2015 4x4 Tundra (8-ft bed)

Steilacoom, WA

#2 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:46 PM

I'm already committed to an eclipse event in Glendo, Wyoming, or I would be interested. You are right that it's not too early to plan. There will probably be crowds all along the path of totality. 

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#3 BILL98388

BILL98388

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

Please tell us about the event you are attending.  Open to all?  Campground or remote camping?  

Bill

Bill

2014 Grandby on 2015 4x4 Tundra (8-ft bed)

Steilacoom, WA

#4 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:10 AM

I'm with a group that will be staying at Glendo State Park. I think we are supposed be doing a few astronomy presentations, but planning is still in the early stages. I believe the group I'm with is not open to all (sorry). We've reserved our campsites, but there may still be sites still open at the State Park, and there will be public events at the Glendo airport.

On the other hand, your idea of a meetup near John Day sounds very nice, and might be just the thing for folks on the west coast.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

Eclipse has been on my calendar for some time. Not sure where I will go, I have a cousin north of Boise ID might be in that area. Will keep a watch on this thread to  see what happens. 

#6 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:04 AM

John Day or someplace in that vicinity sounds like a good place for a gathering.  Definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:16 AM

All:

Is anyone interested in a viewing gathering of WTW fans for this event?  It is not too early to plan.....

It might have been too early when I posted in 2014 -- I only got one response. :D  but not too early anymore.

A group viewing -- with a camping rendezvous -- would be fun.  I agree about the John Day country being a good location.  There's a bald-top drivable peak in that area I mentioned in that previous thread.

But if that doesn't work out I might just drive up to Madras.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

It's certainly not too soon to begin acquiring eclipse glasses or filters for viewing it safely.  You've got to figure that as the eclipse gets closer, everybody and their kid brother will be trying to find them.

A quick Google search on "viewing solar eclipse safely" turns up numerous sites with good info.

The astronomy supply sites even sell filters suitable for use on binoculars and cameras.  Not inexpensive, but I'm thinking about buying one anyway.

Regards

John

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

Just reserved two nights at Crater Lake NP.  We plan on getting up early on the 21th and driving up to Madras OR. 

#10 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:08 AM

We are definitely interested. Were talking with some friends a month ago, and john day was mentioned. Plus would get me away from painting (the house, is also on the schedule next august) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users