108 replies to this topic

#21 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

Yup, I should never try and type just after waking up from a nap...

I am haunted by waters

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

................................... just after waking up from a nap...

a clear sign of retirement........pup holding you down?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

a clear sign of retirement........pup holding you down?

Are you referring to the 6 month old, 62 pound fur baby? The one that likes to sleep in my lap? If so, I'd have to say yes... :)

I am haunted by waters

#24 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

I'm with a group that will be staying at Glendo State Park. I think we are supposed be doing a few astronomy presentations, but planning is still in the early stages. I believe the group I'm with is not open to all (sorry). We've reserved our campsites, but there may still be sites still open at the State Park, and there will be public events at the Glendo airport.

On the other hand, your idea of a meetup near John Day sounds very nice, and might be just the thing for folks on the west coast.

Glendo is a good area for the eclipse in terms of chances of good weather and bad-weather options.  Campgrounds and motels have been reserved for months.  Not sure how lenient the state troopers will be on 'dispersed' camping.  The town is planning several days of events.

https://www.facebook...alsolareclipse/

http://www.skyandtel...ight-on-glendo/

http://www.eclipsewi...017stateWY.html

http://www.eclipse20...er_redirect.htm

Glendo-circumstances-crude-1000px.jpg

#25 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

And Redneck Druid Wannabes may be interested in viewing the eclipse from Carhenge, just 3 miles north of Alliance, NE, located on the right hand edge of the map above.  I dunno if the totality path may line up with the tailpipe of the 1973 Gremlin or maybe the missing headlight of the 1955 Jeep pickup, but you never know.  Beings with powers different from our own built Carhenge, so maybe there will be a big surprise on 21 August, 2017.  

Foy

#26 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

Now that may be a worthwhile reason to deal with the crowds ;)

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#27 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:05 AM

So. any more thoughts on a gathering place?  Roughly 10 weeks until the event.  I'm thinking of driving south from Spokane and heading for someplace in Oregon or Idaho depending on where the weather forecast looks best.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#28 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:34 AM

I live in central Oregon -- 40 miles from the center of the path.  But I don't know where I'm going to be.  :blink:

I've always said, "If nothing else I'll just drive to the Safeway parking lot in Madras and look from there! :D "  But now I'm doubtful that even that boring location will be feasible.

There's a real chance of big-time gridlock -- at least, that's my prediction  It's a HUGE deal up here -- hotel/motel rooms have been sold out for years (in some cases), and some of those rooms went for 10x their normal price.  :o  Predictions are for 100,000 extra people in little Jefferson Country, Oregon.

Maybe need to get to a spot a couple/few days in advance so there's no need to try to drive on the big day or the day before?

Of course, further east from US 97 -- in more rural areas, will probably see less traffic...

Not sure yet.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#29 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:20 AM

I have reservations in the Burns area, was going to drive north from there, but with the crowds I'm thinking home is a fine place to see it. Maybe drive down to Salem to be centered on the totality path.

I am haunted by waters

#30 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Emergency Officials in coastal Oregon area are treating the eclipse and attending crowds as a training exercise for the Big One

Tsunami event which may or may not be coming....and in General as a Mass Casualty event training.

Locally, it is hard to contemplate the short or long term  effects of this natural event.

There really DOES seem to be a difference in what and how folks decide what to do with their leisure time and money these days.

It seems most believe everything they read on the web and that most want to behave like sheep.

My biggest concern is that some percentage of the visitors are going to purchase land and remain here. 

Pretty soon, HERE may not be here anymore.

David Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users