Since the exterior paint was complete it was time to finish the exterior project with the trim. Again I went with flat brown for the angle aluminum but stuck with the traditional white for the other pieces (not sure what these are called).
Like all paint jobs this took patients and many coats. I also worked on painting the windows and other bits and pieces too.
Before the trim the camper was looking pretty disheveled.
But I am really happy with how the brown edges outline the gloss white.
The windows still are not fully installed. I ran out of hardware, but it is on the to do list and the are tacked in place for now.
Under the angle aluminum I did not add any putty or butyl tape since there was none when I took it off. Hopefully I do not regret this later. I feel this simple trim is just to keep the sheet metal secure and there are plenty of other weatherproofing feature in these spots.
I did put the butyl tape under the other trim pieces.
I also have the inserts for this trim piece. You can see a test piece here.
Here is link to the trim insert from amazon, or just google : Camco 25232 Vinyl Trim Insert (1" x 100', Brown)
I had a hard time finding this so I wanted to be sure to share it now.
While I am working on the rear of the camper I might as well take care of a few other items. I bought one new porch light to replace my switchless one. But when I was at five star RV I found a new lens for my broken porch light and said, “why not two”
Quick note, for those of us in Colorado’s front range. I was really happy to have stopped into five star RV, http://www.fivestarrvgroup.com/
Thier salvaged barns are crazy! Just organized enough to find things, but still need to know what you are looking for. If you are looking for an odd item or two, I would try this place, I had good luck.
I also replaced the porch light bulbs with new LED ones.
Also, what I did with my two porch lights is solder on an extra hot wire coming off the switch. Now when I turn on the switch on my passenger porch light, both lights turn on! I am really proud of this!
Lights on, they don’t throw a ton of light, but I think it will be sufficient. I am not doing any floodlights. That can be for camper 3.0 next summer if I find myself wanting more.
3rd Brake light
I am trying to stay focused on certain projects and actually complete parts of the camper so with that I went ahead and put my 3rd brake lights on. These I actually purchased many months ago but just got around to them now.
Very low investment. They claim to be waterproof but I will have to give a full report later.
They are simple peel and stick! The black looks a little strange but I think it works okay. And I like the corner style lights!
I ran the wires into the camper under the trim. Then combined them all with some simple crimps and 18 gauge wire.
It is a bit messy since the hot wire runs from the driver side over to the passenger light, then off the switch and back to the driver side. But it works okay and will all be tucked under the panels anyways. The connection for the 3rd brake light wire runs alongside the propane tank out the bottom and to the driver tail light where I have a connector from my old topper.
To make a simple waterproof wire exit I was fortunate enough that my pack of MC4 renogy connector came with 1 too many connectors.
So I grabbed the hacksaw and harvested a waterproof connector!
I also chipped my new paint with too aggressive of a drill bit, but it is going to get wear eventually anyways so no worries. This bolt is just hoping it while the glue sets.
For six dollar LED strips I’d say I am pretty happy with the final results.