I thought I was really done with the panels. But I guess I had one more item I wanted to take care of. I did not know what to do about these corners in the bed area.
Then I looked at a lot of online videos and it seems FWC uses carpet to cover these areas. So I followed suit. But while I was at it, I went ahead and added this carpet all around the camper to cover the top 1” of aluminum framing above the panels.
From the local home improvement store I was able to get this outdoor carpet:
I purchased a 12’X4’ piece. I wanted the long 12’ length to have the least amount of seams. And I got extra for the benches later. I think it cost like $18 so really cost effective!
The carpet is really easy to cut with some nice scissors. And can be glued in place with a nice contact adhesive.
I cut 5” wide pieces and tucked them under all the panels.
For the corners I just made relief cuts to get the curve to fold flat. Then did some simple overlapping and I think it came out really well.
All those seams are under a panel too, so really do not notice them much at all.
The carpet addition really gives the camper a finished feel. I think in the winter it will help make the camper feel a little warmer (even if it is just in my head .
Roof Prep 2
Continuing my goal of getting the roof squared away before getting into the sidelinear. I was able to put in a few hours on the roof project this past weekend.
The camper came with a little solar panel that I want to run down into the camper so I had to add a wire pass through. I bought this item months ago but am just getting to it now.
I know there are many solar wire passthrough options, but it seem like a well made little product that I think will stay watertight and get the job done.
1st was to cut the hole. I was kind of unnerved to cut a hole in my previous watertight roof.
To adhere the passthrough to the roof I am simply using VHB tape.
I have this item at work so I was able to borrow a few inches of it. I know others use this tape for many applications (this is what gopro ships with their mounts) so I think it will stand the test of time.
To ensure watertightness, I packed Butyl tape on the inside of the passthrough and ran a bead of silicone on the outside. Ill hope for the best now.
After the wires pass into the roof, they will need to run out of the headliner to the cab of the camper. I improvised a bit and rigged up this little guy to act as a passthrough point. I think it should get the job done.
A little customizing of some square brackets and it could be mounted in the roof.
Thanks for reading. I just need to keep reminding myself, one project at a time and we will be camping soon!
For reference this work was performed in min November 2016.